Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Return pump brand insight for new 220 (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=125420)

Galizio 02-06-2018 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 1024027)
One more thing to note...

What type of drain are you going to be using? Any of the siphon-style drains that utilize a gate valve (Herbie, Bean Animal, etc) perform better with an AC pump rather than DC since the output on DC has a tendency to vary slightly during the day which messes up the adjustment of the water level. You will get a consistent output from an AC pump. Some people don't seem to experience this issue - I've seen it myself, a lot. I no longer use DC pumps for returns on siphon-style drains.

+1
Explained very well, had same issues with controllable pumps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SharkBait48 02-07-2018 05:25 PM

Thanks

Guys thanks for the ton of responses

This forum is awesome.

It almost looks like AC pumps are outdated and most companies are not putting money into them anymore.

DC could be a risk but I think I may be leaning towards that side of the fence.

Jabeo, ecotech, reef octopus, and the new core look pretty great.

smokinreefer 02-08-2018 01:01 AM

I wouldn't say AC is outdated;
More like tested old technology.

While the tech may not change, it still has its place.
For example I need an AC return pump because DC cannot handle the pressure of my system.

And that's a blanket statement, there might be a DC option for me but if I recall correctly, that option would also cost thousands more.

dino 02-19-2018 07:13 PM

once again I had a dc pump die in my freshwater . granted its a cheapy but I have had a marineland AC in my salt for 5 years no issues at all. hell I barely clean it

mark 02-23-2018 02:14 AM

Had a Dart as a CL pump so directly below tank. Quiet but far from silent, still okay for the living room with the TV on.

I still have a brand new, unused Blueline T4 kicking around for sale. Never ran it but everything I read on it said really quiet.

Scythanith 02-23-2018 02:48 AM

Abyzz... set it and forget it :)

DKoKoMan 02-23-2018 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scythanith (Post 1024610)
Abyzz... set it and forget it :)

Soooooo expensive... what about the new DC Sunpole return pumps?

Myka 02-23-2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharkBait48 (Post 1024068)
It almost looks like AC pumps are outdated and most companies are not putting money into them anymore.

Nah, it's just about consumers wanting something new and fancy. I don't buy into new and fancy. I like tried and true. I have no use for a controllable return pump (or skimmer pump). I'm all for controllable powerheads though - my Tunzes are all 5-10 years old.

All the European brands are still putting out good quality AC pumps - Eheim, Tunze, Sicce. :)