Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Marine Fish (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Yet Another Moorish Idol Thread (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=110743)

straightrazorguy 12-07-2014 01:12 AM

Yet Another Moorish Idol Thread

I love moorish idols. I know people say the survival rates are so poor, that it's not even worth trying. I know people recommend getting a bannerfish instead. Much easier, they say. Still, I like idols, but not bannerfish.

After a lot of reading I decided to try my hand at it. I know that they are abundant in nature, so the aquarium trade won't change any of that. That's how I justify my decision, anyway.

Long story short, after a lot of debating I picked up a medium pair (3-4 inch) a couple of days ago. They are both in my bare QT. I do a rigorous quarantine regimen, as I am not willing to introduce any nasties in my DT. I am currently treating the idols with PraziPro. I have, in the past, lost a Kole tang and a leopard wrasse to Cupramine. So the last batch of fish got a month of hyposalinty after a couple of weeks of Prazipro.

What do you suggest for my idols? One is eating and spitting a lot. The other one isn't eating at all. What do experienced Canreefers say? Please bring all advice, including your worst criticism. I'm a big boy; I can take it!

Aquattro 12-07-2014 02:14 AM

I'm bringing one home later this week that has been in the LFS display for a year or so. Great fish that eats like a pig. Does well with it's tank mates. Eats nori and mysis, and the occasional nip at a coral. I can live with that for such a nice fish.

George 12-07-2014 03:04 AM

Probably best to hold on to prazipro until both are eating and build up some fat reserve. Prazipro is known to suppress appetite of some fish.
try some live food clams (aka manila clams in the market), or live black worms (king ed sells them) to get them to eat.
Good luck.

Madreefer 12-07-2014 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 924136)
I'm bringing one home later this week that has been in the LFS display for a year or so. Great fish that eats like a pig. Does well with it's tank mates. Eats nori and mysis, and the occasional nip at a coral. I can live with that for such a nice fish.

Finally!!! Your lucky. I wish I could find one like that.

MarkoD 12-07-2014 04:53 AM

I had one for 6 months before it was killed by a purple tang. I fed it pineapple sponges from my sump. It also ate NLS pellets and nori

Aquattro 12-07-2014 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkoD (Post 924153)
I fed it pineapple sponges from my sump.

How did you do this, exactly? My sump is getting full of them

straightrazorguy 12-07-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkoD (Post 924153)
I had one for 6 months before it was killed by a purple tang. I fed it pineapple sponges from my sump. It also ate NLS pellets and nori

Bummer about it being killed by a killer tang. How did you get it to eat?

Mine are both now sampling all the food and spitting it out. I'm getting worried. Any advice/ideas?

Craigdillman 12-07-2014 08:49 PM

have you tried live food ? brine shrimp tho small might get them interested and eating and heard of people hatching blood worms for copper bands and finicky fish maybe look into that ?

Good luck

straightrazorguy 12-07-2014 09:07 PM

No, I haven't thought of live foods. I don't even know where to get it locally. My copperband ate frozen on day 3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craigdillman (Post 924228)
have you tried live food ? brine shrimp tho small might get them interested and eating and heard of people hatching blood worms for copper bands and finicky fish maybe look into that ?

Good luck

SeaHorse_Fanatic 12-07-2014 10:05 PM

Mykiss (Pat) on BCAQUARIA raises live brine shrimp on a constant basis.