Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Such a device exists (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81582)

Bryan 01-01-2012 06:25 AM

Such a device exists

Hello;

My TV does not have a USB port to support media playing etc. Tired of burning avi's to disk and playing through the dvd player. Is their a device that can accept a usb connection that then connects to a television. Someone suggested the Apple TV, but from what I have read the USB is only used for diagnostics.

cale262 01-01-2012 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan (Post 666491)
Hello;

My TV does not have a USB port to support media playing etc. Tired of burning avi's to disk and playing through the dvd player. Is their a device that can accept a usb connection that then connects to a television. Someone suggested the Apple TV, but from what I have read the USB is only used for diagnostics.

The Apple tv connects your tv to your computer wirelessly, so you just use the Apple tv to view the media files that are on your computer. Apple tv is a great for this and does so much more (YouTube, Vimeo, Netflix, iTunes, NHL, etc, etc)

Ross 01-01-2012 06:34 AM

Alot of blue ray players have a usb port for playback on them. Id take a look at them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using Tapatalk

lee9 01-01-2012 06:47 AM

Depends what you are trying to view on your TV. Pictures, movies on computer/DVD?CD, streaming video, etc. Is the only option you have USB?

Is playing media files from a computer an option or are you only looking for USB options? If so, yes most newer Blue ray options have different types of ports or wireless. There are also many other devices which can connect to your TV via other inputs.

MKLKT 01-01-2012 06:47 AM

PS3/Xbox works too, depends on what formats you're going for, each comes stock with large HDDs these days too.

The Grizz 01-01-2012 06:49 AM

Does your TV have a spot where you could plug in a computer tower same as a monitor ( rs2 port I think ). There is an adaptor for USB to rs2, I had to buy one for my Profilux to hook to my computer.

mark 01-01-2012 06:52 AM

WDTV. connects to your TV via HDMI and can connect an external USB drive (2 ports) or stream off other devices on your home network or media over the internet. Plays avi, mkv etc.

MKLKT 01-01-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grizz (Post 666496)
Does your TV have a spot where you could plug in a computer tower same as a monitor ( rs2 port I think ). There is an adaptor for USB to rs2, I had to buy one for my Profilux to hook to my computer.

DB9 cables are the standard older style monitor cables (my TV has that), newer video cards have HDMI as well.

mark 01-01-2012 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MKLKT (Post 666501)
DB9 cables are the standard older style monitor cables (my TV has that), newer video cards have HDMI as well.

mean VGA?

scherzo 01-01-2012 07:30 AM

It sounds like you are trying to do this (correct me if I'm wrong)

You have media files on your computer (movies... By the sounds of it since you are burning .avi files)

You want to put them on a USB drive then walk over to the tv and play the files.

You could get rid of the USB portion by using an apple tv.

As long as you have iTunes installed on your computer you can play any media files in your library (stored on your computer) and stream it to your tv.

You could also do the same thing if you have windows 7 and an Xbox 360.

$129 for an Xbox
$119 for an apple tv

I have both but like the interface on the apple tv. It seems peppier than browsing media on the 360.