Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Group camping within an hour of Calgary? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101806)

Coralgurl 10-27-2013 08:05 PM

Group camping within an hour of Calgary?

Weird to send this out when it's snowing, but looking for some group camping sites close to Calgary for 2014. Prefer something that isn't tied in with a campground for noise restrictions. Right now red lodge is top of the list, but it's 2 hours away. Anyone here have some fave spots to go? Will need something big, min 15 units.

Zoaelite 10-27-2013 08:19 PM

Mclean Creek free camp or Wipress are both expansive, full of nature and cost nothing to stay at.

Just pack your garbage up after and try not to freeze your butt off :razz:.

I prefer Mclean, 45 mins away from Calgary and there is a pay to camp within 5km so you can stop @ the store if need be. Look up Mclean Creek campground, instead of turning right into the pay to camp you take a left over the cow gate and follow the road.

seasalt_newbies 10-27-2013 08:20 PM

By the sounds of it I want to come and camp with you guys as well.:lol:

Coralgurl 10-27-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoaelite (Post 854282)
Mclean Creek free camp or Wipress are both expansive, full of nature and cost nothing to stay at.

Just pack your garbage up after and try not to freeze your butt off :razz:.

I prefer Mclean, 45 mins away from Calgary and there is a pay to camp within 5km so you can stop @ the store if need be. Look up Mclean Creek campground, instead of turning right into the pay to camp you take a left over the cow gate and follow the road.

We used to camp out there all the time when we went quadding and off road trips. (many years ago :lol:) Might have to take run out to see if it's what we are looking for.....thanks! We were in tents back then, how RV friendly is it? Nice thing with rv's.....heat :mrgreen: so over freezing my butt off :razz:

Quote:

Originally Posted by seasalt_newbies (Post 854283)
By the sounds of it I want to come and camp with you guys as well.:lol:

We aren't a wild bunch most of the time, just planning an event and need the space without the restrictions, but ya come on out :lol: We usually group camp for the long weekends, family stuff in between.

Zoaelite 10-28-2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coralgurl (Post 854286)
We used to camp out there all the time when we went quadding and off road trips. (many years ago :lol:) Might have to take run out to see if it's what we are looking for.....thanks! We were in tents back then, how RV friendly is it? Nice thing with rv's.....heat :mrgreen: so over freezing my butt off :razz:

We aren't a wild bunch most of the time, just planning an event and need the space without the restrictions, but ya come on out :lol: We usually group camp for the long weekends, family stuff in between.

Depends on the time of year, we have never had a problem getting the trailers in and out though (aside from bottoming out a few times).

I'm sure you are aware of the attitude out there though, I don't think I have ever met such a keen group of people willing to help strangers out.

Best part is if you camp by a giant mud pit you get free shows all day long, nothing more entertaining than watching people get stuck. Gives you an excuse to get dirty and try and save them.

ckmullin 10-28-2013 03:54 AM

A bit farther down hwy 66 towards Forgetmenot Pond there is another camp ground. Give that a look see too.

Coralgurl 10-28-2013 06:17 PM

That looks lovely too. Same distance as the one I'm looking at now. Thanks

Can't book anything until February, thought for events, bookings were available up to a year in advance.... ah well.

Kryptic4L 11-02-2013 08:13 AM

one of the most interesting places ive group camped was in brooks of all places. we had our own little island it was um interesting, we were away from the main camping at the campground.