Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Is anyone else as cheesed off as i am? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47220)

karazy 12-06-2008 11:55 PM

Is anyone else as cheesed off as i am?

Ok, i was in Big Als today
and to my disgust there was not 1
but 3 black tipped reef sharks in there main display.

yes, i know the tank is big, and the sharks aren't full grown yet, but they look almost too active for the tank already.
i was very mad that they would even consider open water sharks.
im sorry if anyone thinks i'm just crazy or wrong
but i have a passion for sharks and seeing that really ruined my day.

so i ask you,
is anyone else cheesed off about this?

Psyire 12-07-2008 12:07 AM

Are you implying that they don't have room for 25 feet of shark once they are all full grown?

Seriously though.. this is quite sad. One would be bad enough.

superduperwesman 12-07-2008 12:10 AM

Meh proportions are probably about the same as most of the fish in a lot of tanks??

karazy 12-07-2008 12:14 AM

you do make a good point wes, but you have to think alot of fish we have in smaller tanks now adays like gobies and such wouldn't cover as much ground as a shark would.

the sharks have only been there like a month or so and they already have a circle route they keep doing. like yeah a tang would go a far ways in the ocean, but the difference between a shark and a tang is the sharks are about 10 pounds of almost pure muscle, and go thousands of miles at a time, while tangs tend to hang around the same large radius

lol, i know there's some kinda stupid points in there but i just really feel for these sharks

Alberta-newb 12-07-2008 01:17 AM

Yeah I was in there Thursday checking things out. The sharks reminded me of the old old cages at the zoo (I'm really dating myself:mrgreen:!). Seeing the sharks going around and around in the same pattern is like watching a lion or tiger pacing back and forth isn't it?

I'm hoping the deceased fish are out by now? When I was in there were quite a few casualties in both the SW and FW tanks.:sad:

karazy 12-07-2008 01:22 AM

i didn't see any deceased fish today, but god they need better staff.
all it was was teenagers who don't know nothing, and like 1 or 2 older people who were kind of annoying.
some of the fish were looking a bit grim though, and some of their SW tanks were looking overstocked

you are so right, it is like the lions and tigers

AndyL 12-07-2008 01:33 AM

MMmm, yeah the sharks will forever be a problem for BA's...

Watch the reviews/critiques; we know how much the mods love those :) Give them some time, Christian has been one of the most active members (and president for what seems like ever) of the CAS, he is a true hobbiest at heart. Could be interesting to see how things develop.

My .02

Andy

lastlight 12-07-2008 04:19 AM

I think once they beat the MASSIVE flat worm problem and get the algae under control it'll be an impressive place. There is potential...

Pan 12-07-2008 04:31 AM

Yeah..(snicker), sorry. I've been to a lot of big als throughout canada and well, maybe a few are well done, but they suffer from the inevitable problems that chain stores suffer from. Most of the time the franchisee is powerless to prevent.....

StirCrazy 12-07-2008 04:35 AM

how big can a shark get befor I have to upgrade my 27 gal tank?

Steve