Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Anybody here keep spiders? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96151)

reefgirl189 03-26-2013 11:32 PM

Anybody here keep spiders?

Long story short I am thinking about getting a tarantula to get over my irrational fear of spiders. I figure if I have to take care of one it will force me to interact with them. My long term goal is to eventually become more accustomed to them and not freak out, screaming bloody murder when I encounter a spider in my house or while out for a walk. I want to be comfortable holding it eventually. I'd like a *gentle* type of tarantula that is friendly and relatively easy to care for.

Anyway who here keeps spiders and what do you like/what don't you like about them? Any tips for a beginner spider enthusiast and where to get one?

Aquattro 03-26-2013 11:35 PM

What's wrong with irrational fears?

reefgirl189 03-26-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 806072)
What's wrong with irrational fears?

I like to challenge myself. Unfortunately zombies and ghosts are kind of hard to find in real life these days. And also they generally don't interact on your terms only or fit conveniently in a small aquarium so this year is going to be the year of getting over spiders for me.

mrhasan 03-26-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefgirl189 (Post 806074)
I like to challenge myself. Unfortunately zombies and ghosts are kind of hard to find in real life these days. And also they generally don't interact on your terms only or fit conveniently in a small aquarium so this year is going to be the year of getting over spiders for me.

Living in my home country for a few months will easily take your fear away since you would have to interact with spiders all the time....well not as a pet but shoooooo them away ;)

reefgirl189 03-27-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhasan (Post 806079)
Living in my home country for a few months will easily take your fear away since you would have to interact with spiders all the time....well not as a pet but shoooooo them away ;)

You'd think living lakeside for a couple years on Cold Lake would have done it, but no, sadly I'm worse that I've ever been. I know my fear is irrational. I've kept snakes as pets and have no problem with them at all. For some reason it's just the spiders and most other insects that make my skin crawl.

mrhasan 03-27-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefgirl189 (Post 806085)
You'd think living lakeside for a couple years on Cold Lake would have done it, but no, sadly I'm worse that I've ever been. I know my fear is irrational. I've kept snakes as pets and have no problem with them at all. For some reason it's just the spiders and most other insects that make my skin crawl.

Understandable....I hate creepy crawlies!

Madreefer 03-27-2013 12:14 AM

Haha I'm like you too. I'm just gonna keep on stepping on them though. Your braver than I.

kien 03-27-2013 12:51 AM

I do not keep nor fear spiders but I do have an irrational fear of slugs..

reefgirl189 03-27-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madreefer (Post 806095)
Haha I'm like you too. I'm just gonna keep on stepping on them though. Your braver than I.

Turns out you are braver than I. I put cups over them and let my man deal with them when he gets home. I can't handle the squishing of bugs. The crunchy noise creeps me out.

paddyob 03-27-2013 01:35 AM

Its not irrational. Spiders are freaking creepy. Useful but creepy as hell.

Crabs are equally as freaky. Even when combined behind glass they creep me out.

So no. Sorry. I don't keep spiders. But share the fear.