Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   To baffle or not to baffle? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69131)

Aquattro 10-22-2010 05:30 PM

To baffle or not to baffle?

In discussion yesterday with LFS, the thought of baffles came up. It was suggested to not use any to allow greater room. So if I'm using a herbie overflow with no bubbles, what are the advantages of baffles?
Who doesn't use them and is happy with their sump?

lastlight 10-22-2010 05:32 PM

My drain runs into a filter sock and is absolutely bubble free. Then comes the skimmer compartment. Baffles keep my display virtually bubble free. I think they do entirely actually as I'm still getting bubbles releasing from the remains of the diatoms on the sand and rocks which get powerhead pureed.

Say yes to baffles! My middle baffle is the one that is raised a bit off the sump floor but I think everyone does it that way.

Aquattro 10-22-2010 05:38 PM

Ya, my current sump has a set at the end to reduce bubbles and keeps the return pump chamber full, but it's 5' long and has lots of room. My new sump will only be 4', so I thought of going without. Not a big deal, as the old sump needs to have them removed and they'll drop right into the new sump, but I thought I might have more options without...

blacknife 10-22-2010 05:43 PM

i vote for.. although not nessisarly lots of them.

I cracked my last sump while tightening a drippy bulkhead. only the water in the return chamber leaked on my floor. I would say at least one set before the pump just incase anything crazy happens.

sphelps 10-22-2010 05:44 PM

On my last 100 gal tank I just had an open tank for a sump with just a skimmer, no baffles at all. I used a herbie style drain and didn't get any bubbles at all. It's important that your skimmer also doesn't allow air bubbles to exit otherwise a baffle or something may be require for that. Provided you don't have any source of air bubbles and don't require specific water direction travel baffles serve little purpose.

I did it mainly for simplicity and laziness but it would certainly give more flexibility for equipment changes/additions. You could also build removable baffles very easily.

Aquattro 10-22-2010 05:49 PM

Hmm, my skimmer would introduce bubbles, hadn't thought of that..oops :)
Plus, I'm using a 75g that will have the brace removed, so I guess baffles would lend some strength as well...

lastlight 10-22-2010 05:51 PM

So far I haven't had a skimmer that didn't release micro bubbles. ASM, BK and now SWC. I've often thought about tossing a sock on the out-take but wondered if the back-pressure would affect the skimmer.

sphelps 10-22-2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 558577)
So far I haven't had a skimmer that didn't release micro bubbles. ASM, BK and now SWC. I've often thought about tossing a sock on the out-take but wondered if the back-pressure would affect the skimmer.

My BK doesn't release a single bubble, perhaps your water level was too high?

Delphinus 10-22-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 558575)
Hmm, my skimmer would introduce bubbles, hadn't thought of that..oops :)
Plus, I'm using a 75g that will have the brace removed, so I guess baffles would lend some strength as well...

I've got a Herbie on the big tank and baffles and that was the rationalization I gave myself for doing so. I did go with fewer baffles in v2 after the walls got cracked and I'm happy with that decision.

My 40g tank uses a 10g sump without baffles and it's just a straight standpipe open at the top and the BM100 skimmer I use dumps bubbles like crazy. And yet no microbubbles in the tank - the turnover is just right apparently.

My 115g tank has a 28" sump and dual overflows (kinda silly on a 30" tank, but it is what it is) and baffles AND a filter sock can't completely eliminate microbubbles. I hate having baffles down there, it is one tight sump to work any equipment into.

How long will your new sump be, and what kind of volume do you think will be travelling through it?

Aquattro 10-22-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphinus (Post 558595)
How long will your new sump be, and what kind of volume do you think will be travelling through it?

Tony, it's a 75g, 4' x 18" footprint. I expect I'll push 1000gph max through it. I'm using 1" pipe for my herbie, so no crazy flow.