Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Old salt water (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104159)

Chase31 01-20-2014 06:32 AM

Old salt water

Does anyone recycle or do anything with their water change water? Just feel like it's wastefull to pour 20g every 2 weeks sometimes more often down the drain.

Slyguy00 01-20-2014 06:35 AM

Not much use for left over salt water. You think thats wasteful? You should check out the waste to good water ratio of an ro unit. However if you wanted at least you could use the ro waste water for something.

Chase31 01-20-2014 06:40 AM

Yea I sometimes use my ro for plants/the garden. Also has dual membranes on it. So trying to save some water those two ways. I can't think of many uses for old salt water but I'm sure someone out there might have found something

SeaHorse_Fanatic 01-20-2014 06:47 AM

Nope other than recycling water from a reef tank to a fish only tank, there really is no viable option for recycling saltwater. If you add it to your plants, it will "salt the earth" and make it useless for growing anything in the future.

The high ratio of waste water to good water is the main reason I stopped doing RODI (as well as the high quality tap water in Greater Vancouver). I do 110g+ water changes on all my tanks at the same time, which means I would need 6 to 8 barrels just to store the waste water for using in my garden in the summer.

Insguy 01-20-2014 07:36 AM

Saltwater changes

I have a friend and I will time from time to time water his yard at night. He know that I do it and he can't figure out why his grass keeps dieing.

MMAX 01-20-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insguy (Post 874727)
I have a friend and I will time from time to time water his yard at night. He know that I do it and he can't figure out why his grass keeps dieing.

I'm glad you're not my neighbor.

spit.fire 01-20-2014 06:23 PM

My water change goes on my driveway to kill any weeds and my ro waste water goes back into the ground where it came from

FishyFishy! 01-20-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insguy (Post 874727)

LOL... I actually did that by accident. Poured a whole bunch of saltwater out my back door onto my lawn.... well needless to say I was re-grassing the lawn last year.

29Bio 01-20-2014 08:03 PM

I water it down and use it for my brine shrimp hatchery's :)

reef-keeper 01-20-2014 08:09 PM

I use my old fresh water to water my indoor plants. And I'm going to try using my salt water for de-icing my sidewalk. The ladder was just an after thought... Which might or might not work.