Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Return pump brand insight for new 220 (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=125420)

SharkBait48 02-02-2018 11:06 PM

Return pump brand insight for new 220

Looking for return pump for my new 220 gallon!

Had to be:

- extremely quiet
- reliable
- effiecent
- variable settings would be nice

Any suggestions or insight?

whatcaneyedo 02-03-2018 01:26 AM

I've been using a Reeflo Dart for around 8 years that I purchased used. They're pretty good except that occasionally the shaft seal begins to leak and needs to be replaced. I had to replace mine about 6 years ago. They are rated up to 3600 gph at 0 head, I'm probably getting a little over 2000 gph out of mine. If you were thinking of something larger/smaller it would be worth mentioning.

FishyFishy! 02-03-2018 04:47 AM

Pretty confident a dart or reeflo of any kind wouldnt fall under the category of "extremely quiet" lol. Though they are extremely reliable and high flow pumps.

WarDog 02-03-2018 06:28 AM

Look into the Fluval SP series.

Frogger 02-03-2018 06:55 AM

I would look into the new DC pumps, controllable and use a lot less power to flow. Cost more up front but in the end are a lot cheaper when total costs.

I just purchased 2 of the Jabeo DCS Series pumps for my two setups. I haven't hooked them up yet but they have great reviews, energy efficient, quiet and not expensive.

DC pumps also work well with the icecap battery backup systems, main reason I purchased them.

Frogger 02-03-2018 07:06 AM

The Jebao DCS 12000 Silent Pump moves over 3000 gallons per hour and uses a maximum of 80 watts. For under $200 Canadian can't be beat. You can buy a backup for that price.

Some non DC pumps require up to 200 watts to move that much water. Do the math in power savings because a pump is running 24/7. Extra wattage also equals extra heat transfer.

whatcaneyedo 02-03-2018 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishyFishy! (Post 1023890)
Pretty confident a dart or reeflo of any kind wouldnt fall under the category of "extremely quiet" lol. Though they are extremely reliable and high flow pumps.

Geez how quiet do you need a pump to be? Tank in the bedroom? My Hammerhead and Dart compared to the fridges, freezers, furnace, fans, washer, dryer and dishwasher don't even land in the top 5 for noice producing sources in our house and most of our stuff is less than 10 years old.

CHEAPREEF 02-03-2018 02:34 PM

I'll second the DC Jebao pumps, but go with the latest version. I have a DCP8000 (newest series) running on my current tank and it's a beast, completely silent no vibrations or hmm nothing.

burgerchow1 02-03-2018 02:42 PM

I used sicce syncra 5 in my last 210 build this year. Dead silent. $265 at j&l

FishyFishy! 02-03-2018 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo (Post 1023898)
Geez how quiet do you need a pump to be? Tank in the bedroom? My Hammerhead and Dart compared to the fridges, freezers, furnace, fans, washer, dryer and dishwasher don't even land in the top 5 for noice producing sources in our house and most of our stuff is less than 10 years old.

I get that you may love them. I do to. However if you actually look at the list of wants he posted, the reeflo's would literally only fill one of those needs. Reliability. Sorry, but they are not quiet, efficient or have variable settings.

- extremely quiet
- reliable
- effiecent
- variable settings would be nice