Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Marine Fish (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   How many blue chromis should I get? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71678)

Patty-Brent 01-12-2011 11:50 AM

How many blue chromis should I get?

Hi I currently have a 55 gallon long with a yellow tang Midas blenny a spotted mandarine and 2 ocellaris clowns. I have around 50 pounds of live rock and Many corals. I'm just wondering how many Blue chromis I can get? I feel I am missing some blue fish in my tank... Any advice would be appreciated The tank has been up and running for over a year... Thanks in advance!

paddyob 01-12-2011 12:01 PM

I ALMOST added chromis this year. A lot of people advised they can be a pain in the butt and in some cases kill each other off in captive systems.

I cannot vouch personally for this... but I elected to not add them at all.

phi delt reefer 01-12-2011 01:05 PM

common misconception of reef tanks - getting a lot chromis won't mean they will school together - schooling is a survival instinct in natural reefs against predators. Unless you a get a predator in there they wont school but instead they will get territorial and start playing "survival of the fittest". They work together when there is a threat - when there isn't threat its every fish for himself.

They might swim together for a bit in the beginning but unless you have a giant tank you will be left with one in a couple weeks/months.

gobytron 01-12-2011 02:01 PM

Guaranteed in a 55, they will kill each other off until there is only 1 left.

save your money and buy one.

Or, if you really want some blue, go out and get yourself a couple blue assessors...

a little more expensive, but a peaceful community fish with a wow factor to itl.

Patty-Brent 01-12-2011 02:16 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone! Those blue assessors are really beautiful how many of them could I put in? I've decide not to go with the blue chromis lol

Patty-Brent 01-12-2011 02:19 PM

Actualy with that being said what other nice blue fish out there would I be able to put in my aquarium

Coleus 01-12-2011 04:59 PM

I have 3 and they don't school, they do chase each other tho

Magma 01-12-2011 07:16 PM

I have 2 in a 40gal tank they dont fight each other but they do stay around each other when the clowns start to pick on them.

gobytron 01-12-2011 08:11 PM

it's worth mentioning how long you have had them for IMO...
could help the o.p. a little more.

Magma 01-12-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gobytron (Post 581322)
it's worth mentioning how long you have had them for IMO...
could help the o.p. a little more.

very true, had mine probably month and half now, I had 3 but one wasnt doing so well and ending up being an expensive snack for my bubble tip.