Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Best bang for Ur buck ATO (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104274)

jason604 01-24-2014 07:52 AM

Best bang for Ur buck ATO

Hey guys I'm getting tired of pouring a bucket of RO water into my sump each day. What's the best bang for your buck ATO method? I store RO water into my 5g water dispensing drinking bottle. Aqua lifter and something? I dunno what u guys do that is fail proof =)

freeze 01-24-2014 08:08 AM

If you want fail proof, tunze. Its about $200 bucks, and has all the bells so you don't flood your house. If it runs longer then 5 minutes it shuts off. Uses an optical sensor and then has a fload sensor backup so that if the water reaches the upper float in your sump, or tank, it shuts off. Best bang for your buck in my world as its 200 up front, but you shouldn't flood the place.

spit.fire 01-24-2014 08:19 AM

IMO jbj is the best, I've seen a lot of the tunze atos stop working

Spyd 01-24-2014 12:24 PM

I would say Elos or Tunze. I have had my Elos for 2 years now and it works flawlessly. Either one will run you about $200 but they keep your water level darn near perfect which also optimizes your skimmer production.

wickedfrags 01-24-2014 12:26 PM

auto shut of valve/solenoid and a float valve from Kent worked well for me for over 10 years

FishyFishy! 01-24-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spit.fire (Post 875616)

Agreed - Bang for your buck (cheaper) the JBJ ATO is a good deal. I've had two tunze's fail on me. 2 of their pumps stopped working, and also one controller and they wouldn't warranty it.

JBJ has yet to fail on me, and you get to hook up whatever pump you want to it. Don't have to be stuck with the crappy and loud tunze pumps.

Only drawback to the JBJ is the mechanical float valves. They can get stuck if they are clogged with something, so regular maintenance is a must. I surrounded mine with a peice of pvc to add some extra safety (snails and such that might crawl on it).

Reef Pilot 01-24-2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedfrags (Post 875622)
auto shut of valve/solenoid and a float valve from Kent worked well for me for over 10 years

+1. Best bang for the buck, for sure. I have a rodi line plumbed directly to my tank using this. Completely fail safe and trouble free.

cav~firez22 01-24-2014 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reef Pilot (Post 875629)
+1. Best bang for the buck, for sure. I have a rodi line plumbed directly to my tank using this. Completely fail safe and trouble free.

same here. Ro line plumbed direct to sump, on a float switch. never had a failure yet.

paddyob 01-24-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spit.fire (Post 875616)

Jbj. $100 shipped from bulk reef. I love mine. Works flawlessly.

corpusse 01-24-2014 01:49 PM

The new Hydro one seems pretty good so far and is cheaper then most other options mentioned but you have to supply the pump but likely have a maxijet or similar lying around.

I like that the controller is water proof or at least water resistant. I spilled water on my tunze controller once years ago and that was it. It is probably still the best in that you take a few ml out and it comes on. The hydro one there needs to be a very slight drop in water level but more significant. Not enough to effect salinity but I don't think its coming on anywhere near as much as a tunze or jbj.

The JBJ seems pretty good too, I also use one of these on my pico. I recently had a sensor die for no apparent reason but it was going for several years and since I only use one I simply swapped it for the other one and its back to working great.

Really any option is better then manual.