Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Marco Rock Cycles (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78210)

Blom 09-07-2011 02:00 AM

Marco Rock Cycles

Tanks been running for about a week now and with today's H2O test I found that my tank had cycled. Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates were all zero. Last time I measured these values I saw a spike in Ammonia, but that was only a few days ago. I know there isn't a lot on the rock to die off, but there would surely be some. Just curious on what others had found.

Bloodasp 09-07-2011 02:08 AM

Are those just dry rocks you put in there or were there any live rocks?

apexifd 09-07-2011 02:51 AM

I still think 1 week is too good to be true. Although you may be ready for ONE hardy fish.

but, it's probably safer to throw in a raw shrimp to cause another ammonia spike and start another cycle.

freezetyle 09-07-2011 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apexifd (Post 634099)
but, it's probably safer to throw in a raw shrimp to cause another ammonia spike and start another cycle.

I would go with this. I started my last tank with dry rock and ended up sacrificing about 4 orange striped cardinals because i thought the tank was ready.

Blom 09-07-2011 04:05 AM

[quote=apexifd;634099 it's probably safer to throw in a raw shrimp to cause another ammonia spike and start another cycle.[/QUOTE]

I like it, the wee bugger can go for a dip right now.

fishytime 09-07-2011 04:26 AM

like I said......dead rock, is dead rock...marco rock has been dead for 10000 years......dust cant decompose:wink:...it is not ready to sustain a bio-load!.......man......you get tired of seeing people starting tanks with all dead rock, or 100#s dead 20#s live in a 120g, or 30#s of live in 120g, cuz they're going for the "minimalist look" (aka the "Im too cheap to buy rock look"(j/k)) and then see them back on the board later with a bunch of fish, starting threads like..... " I have cyano"......"I have high nitrates".......I have hair algae....."I have dead fish"......start a tank with 100% LR and your supposed to exercise patience......start a tank with dead rock and.......well .....you get the point.....I suppose you could use some kind of bottle to speed up the process if thats what you want, but to me, nuthin will beat good live rock and some patience

Myka 09-07-2011 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishytime (Post 634129)
like I said......dead rock, is dead rock...marco rock has been dead for 10000 years......dust cant decompose:wink:...it is not ready to sustain a bio-load!.......man......you get tired of seeing people starting tanks with all dead rock, or 100#s dead 20#s live in a 120g, or 30#s of live in 120g, cuz they're going for the "minimalist look" (aka the "Im too cheap to buy rock look"(j/k)) and then see them back on the board later with a bunch of fish, starting threads like..... " I have cyano"......"I have high nitrates".......I have hair algae....."I have dead fish"......start a tank with 100% LR and your supposed to exercise patience......start a tank with dead rock and.......well .....you get the point.....I suppose you could use some kind of bottle to speed up the process if thats what you want, but to me, nuthin will beat good live rock and some patience

Post of the day! I agree 100%. :D

fishytime 09-07-2011 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 634131)
Post of the day! I agree 100%. :D

thanks Mindy:wink:......Im feeling feisty tonight:biggrin:

Myka 09-07-2011 04:41 AM

You got into the 0.5% beer again tonight didn't you? :eek:

fishytime 09-07-2011 04:43 AM

move that decimal point:drinking: