Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Magnesium? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=110145)

Wretch 11-04-2014 03:58 AM

Magnesium?

I have had my tank up and running for about 10 months now. I have 5 fish and some corals(zoas and lps). My magnesium has always been low, somewhere between 1100 and 1000 but last I checked it was at 960 or so. Would this low magnesium be preventing my coral from growing? Almost all my corals are the same size as when I got them. My other numbers all seems normal.

Salt 1.025
Calcium 420
KH 8.6
Mag 960(have been raising with tech-m now at about 1200)
Temp 79.2
Using a D120 LED light

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Slyguy00 11-04-2014 04:07 AM

I would think that could definitely have something to do with it. That is pretty low. I try and keep mine around 1350-1400. Everything grows better when parameters are where they should be.

spit.fire 11-04-2014 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wretch (Post 919654)
I have had my tank up and running for about 10 months now. I have 5 fish and some corals(zoas and lps). My magnesium has always been low, somewhere between 1100 and 1000 but last I checked it was at 960 or so. Would this low magnesium be preventing my coral from growing? Almost all my corals are the same size as when I got them. My other numbers all seems normal.

Salt 1.025
Calcium 420
KH 8.6
Mag 960(have been raising with tech-m now at about 1200)
Temp 79.2
Using a D120 LED light

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

IMO you're wasting your money with tech m unless you're trying to get rid of bryopsis, dont get me wrong, its a good product but there are cheaper alternatives that work just as well (just dont get rid of bryopsis). Bulk checmicals are the way to go, you're not paying for water that way, 2.99 (or somewhere around that) gets you a lb of bulk magnesium chloride, calcium chloride or soda ash.

whatcaneyedo 11-04-2014 04:15 AM

Rome wasn't built in a day. -10 months isn't a very long time, your system isn't very mature and most LPS are relatively slow growers. Sit back, relax, keep everything in check, continue researching and good things will happen.

Wretch 11-04-2014 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spit.fire (Post 919666)
IMO you're wasting your money with tech m unless you're trying to get rid of bryopsis, dont get me wrong, its a good product but there are cheaper alternatives that work just as well (just dont get rid of bryopsis). Bulk checmicals are the way to go, you're not paying for water that way, 2.99 (or somewhere around that) gets you a lb of bulk magnesium chloride, calcium chloride or soda ash.

I thought about getting bulk chemicals for magnesium as I did for calcium and alkalinity but I didn't research it before hitting the store. So when I am out of tech-m I will go that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo (Post 919667)
Rome wasn't built in a day. -10 months isn't a very long time, your system isn't very mature and most LPS are relatively slow growers. Sit back, relax, keep everything in check, continue researching and good things will happen.

It wasn't that my LPS weren't growing it was that nothing was growing. Not one new polyp on any of my zoas or palys. Some even seemed to be shrinking.

Hoping once I get my numbers straightened out to use pickling lime in my ATO to maintain them.

thanks all.

Myka 11-04-2014 02:59 PM

Fwiw, Tech M is Magnesium sulphate aka Epsom Salt and shouldn't be used as the primary source of magnesium. Look for Magnesium chloride.

reefwars 11-04-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 919712)
Fwiw, Tech M is Magnesium sulphate aka Epsom Salt and shouldn't be used as the primary source of magnesium. Look for Magnesium chloride.

its actually a mix of sulfate and chloride and water

from the rep:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narwhal82 (Post 23081830)
Sorry guys. Tech M is and always has been just Magnesium chloride, Magnesium sulfate + water. I know that for a fact.

Used to be (under the Jack Kent and Chris Brightwell years) that they would call out impurities as ingredients on the label. Kent marketing was a lot more loosey goosey with the labels before it became a CG&P company. Now we follow the rules and use the AAPFCO fertilizer standards (although it is not a fertilizer) as a guideline.

As for why it works on Bryopsis where others won't, I can't tell you as I don't really have enough data to form a conclusion.

Andy

Myka 11-04-2014 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefwars (Post 919714)
its actually a mix of sulfate and chloride and water

My bottle only lists Magnesium sulfate on the label. It's an old bottle though, maybe it's changed...?

EDIT: Here's a pic of a label from 2013 and yeah it looks like magnesium chloride now:
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...psc2eb826f.jpg

http://s190.photobucket.com/user/zib...b826f.jpg.html

reefwars 11-04-2014 10:49 PM

The label has seen many changes over the years , probably because everyone wants to know the magical ingredient and they are pressured to post what's inside :)

They say the ingredients haven't changed just the way they word it lol

I'm not a fan of tech m fwiw; )

Myka 11-04-2014 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefwars (Post 919759)
They say the ingredients haven't changed just the way they word it lol

I'm not a fan of tech m fwiw; )

Yeah, I saw that...I don't believe it. :lol: I'm not a fan either. I use Fauna Marin Magnesium chloride and add a sniff of Epsom.