Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Yellow leather Toadstool turning brown (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=126903)

mrdss 09-25-2018 02:44 AM

Yellow leather Toadstool turning brown

Does anyone know why a yellow leather toadstool turns brown ? Is it too much nutrients ? Not enough nutrients ? Too much light ? Not enough light ? I am unable to figure it our nor find any concrete information in this regard.

Goomba 09-25-2018 05:05 PM

A picture may be necessary to see the problem at hand. Actual yellow fiji leathers are fairly uncommon, not even sure if they can be collected anymore with certain areas going offline.

What that means to you is if it ISN'T a real yellow it could just be that it's gaining color back from bleaching out or if it's kinda patchy like army camo it was most likely colored and it's reverting back to normal.

If it IS a real yellow leather they tend to be prone to bacterial infections that manifest as brown edges and necrosis. You can snip off the infected areas with scissors or maybe dip it but I dont know what would treat it.

mrdss 09-25-2018 07:18 PM

Not green

Do you have a yellow leather coral ?

Goomba 09-27-2018 03:36 PM

I've kept them before yes, real and fake ones. I just listed common issues with them, a picture would be more helpful to identify what you are experiencing.

arash53 09-27-2018 07:41 PM

Maybe it is shedding

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mrdss 09-27-2018 08:30 PM

Picture

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goomba (Post 1030641)
A picture may be necessary to see the problem at hand.

As soon as I get a chance I will DRAW you pictures.

mrdss 09-27-2018 08:36 PM

Yellow Leather

I believe my questions was fairly straight forth.Why are people who have never owned a yellow leather replying ? They read something so ............. NOW THEY THINK they know something ?

Ok, Yellow Toadstool leather corals very common for them to turn brown. I am trying to figure out what others have done either pro or con.

I am trying to nail it down to

1. Lighting
2. Height
3. Flow
4. Temperature
4. Salinity
5. High / low nutrients.

Hopefully the people with the persistent yellow and the browning yellow can provide some clues. Person with the yellow coals is doing / using. Person with the browning coral is doing /using.Out of those 5 questions either one or all have to be correct. There has to be an answer and a middle ground we are missing. There has to be. IT is something in the tank conditions causing the browning. Possibly other corals in the tank.

I watched the most beautiful. The most beautiful yellow I have ever seen with my own eyes slowly darken and become brown. Over time playing with lights etc. it began lighting up quite a bit to a tan color. I sold the toadstool when shutting down the tank. So, what is everyone doing ? We are doing .................... Toadstool turns brown. Or we are doing ...............................Toadstool turns yellow.

This information is vital to all who own a yellow leather coral since there is NO concrete information on the internet.

mrdss 09-27-2018 09:00 PM

BABIE

Now the thousands of posts BABIES cry to Admin. He is making fun of me. BUNCH OF BABIES !

whatcaneyedo 09-28-2018 01:24 AM

You'll catch more flies with honey.

What is your:
1. Lighting
2. Height
3. Flow
4. Temperature
4. Salinity
5. High / low nutrients. (water chemistry ie. Ca, Alk, Mg, PO4, NO3 etc)

Any and all of these will affect the colour, growth and health of a coral.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

I've had this fiji toadstool for a few years. It looks nice but has been slow to grow. My system is well outlined in one of the links in my signature.

https://i.imgur.com/CkR0Z07b.jpg

mrdss 09-28-2018 01:50 AM

Picture

Either the picture is deceiving or there are some touches of brown in there. Not the BRIGHT Yellow that I have seen in person.

Can you please specify

1. Lighting
2. Height
3. Flow
4. Temperature
4. Salinity
5. High / low nutrients. (water chemistry ie. Ca, Alk, Mg, PO4, NO3 etc)