Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Hey Vancouverites! A little help? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36722)

Kabong 10-31-2007 12:20 AM

Hey Vancouverites! A little help?

I'm over on Van Island, But have a concert to go to in a month and a half or so.
So I need to book a hotel. Problem is I don't really know Van that well.
If I book a room at the
Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver 1176 Granville St

Am I going to be tripping on junkies trying to get to my car?
Or is it an alright neighbor hood?

Thanx in advance for any help.

trilinearmipmap 10-31-2007 01:15 AM

It is not the best neighbourhood but not the worst. South Granville used to be a lot more scuzzy, to me it seems to be still fairly scuzzy but not as scuzzy as it was some years ago.

I would look for something west of Burrard to avoid the various assorted scum that inhabit Vancouver.

Then again if you are fairly young and in a group of other guys this part of town would probably be just fine.

Jason McK 10-31-2007 03:30 AM

Your looking at $160 and up to stay Down town. There is a Coast on Denman. Or the Pacific Palisades on Robson

Actually just looked up the Coast Plaza is only $139 on Expedia.ca

J

Van-rookie 10-31-2007 03:45 AM

you can try Empire Landmark, Palisades, Tropicana on Robson...or Coast Plaza

Kabong 10-31-2007 03:48 AM

Hmm hows the area out by J&L?
I'll be driving out there anyways :)

fkshiu 10-31-2007 04:37 AM

From the HoJo on Granville you'll get a great view of the drunken fights up and down the strip every weekend. As someone said, it's OK if you're a young guy.

J&L is located in an industrial park area in suburbia. The closest hotel would probably be the Executive Inn on Lougheed and North Road which is just one Skytrain stop away. Actually, the Executive Inn might not be a bad place even if you're heading downtown for a concert as the Skytrain will take you straight there in about 20 minutes or so.

SeaHorse_Fanatic 10-31-2007 05:48 AM

Kabong,

Just checked with my wife & she's cool with you crashing here if you want. We're in Burnaby, 15 min. drive from J&L, 20 min. from OA, 10 min. from Coral Ocean and 3 min. from King Ed's. Very centrally located.

Anthony

Van-rookie 10-31-2007 05:55 AM

Cool..... very centrally located from the LFSs

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic (Post 279198)
Kabong,

Just checked with my wife & she's cool with you crashing here if you want. We're in Burnaby, 15 min. drive from J&L, 20 min. from OA, 10 min. from Coral Ocean and 3 min. from King Ed's. Very centrally located.

Anthony

Veng68 10-31-2007 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Van-rookie (Post 279199)
Cool..... very centrally located from the LFSs

Don't do it...... he'll try and frag you ;)

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]