Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   FOWLR (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   New guy, Rock and sand questions (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36547)

banditpowdercoat 10-22-2007 08:50 PM

New guy, Rock and sand questions

OK, First off, Hi all, new here from 100 Mile House BC. Have had freshwater aquaria for 7-8 years now, and am finally venturing into Salt. Just got a 190L corner unit Aquarium, Fluval brand, with a Fluval 205 canister filter. I will get a sump eventually, when time and tank requires it. The problem is my LFS does not have Salt supplies in stock. No rock, sand or fish. But, they can order in anythign I want, and it comes in pretty quick, 3 days. My question is, what should I be telling them to order for me? I will be eventually gettign a pair or Percula Clowns, and the rest, well, havnt gtoen that far yet LOL. Pretty much the norm, huh, Wanting to get into salt with Percula's. But Daughter has told me how it is going to be HAHAHA. Also, waiting longer to get tank to cycle is not a problem so if I could use more base rock, or just regular aragonite instead of live sand, that would be ok. I am gettign overwhelmed with the different choices there is out there, Aragonite, crushjed coral, types of live rock, etc. Would like a little 'push' in the right direction for product/brand selection.

Ohh ya, I would liek a healthy cleanup crew too, Hermits and the like. I think the cleanup crews are just the coolest thing, watching them work away..

Joe Reefer 10-22-2007 09:14 PM

First off, Welcome to the board.

I recommend reading a book called "Concientious Marine Aquarist by B.Fenner" first and "The reef aquarium vol. 3 by Delbeek and Sprung" these will give you an idea of where you want to take your reef tank and how to get there. They also will explain all of the equipment and methods used today in maintaining a suscessful reef that your family can enjoy.

Ask lots of questions before you mix your first batch of water. And IMO crabs should be left in the ocean.

digital-audiophile 10-22-2007 09:22 PM

Welcome :)

For what it's worth I have halloween hermits and electric blue hermits in my tank and they have never caused me any problems. Just my 2 cent.

Joe Reefer 10-22-2007 09:34 PM

I will rephrase that: Crabs should not be in my tank.:mrgreen:

banditpowdercoat 10-23-2007 07:55 AM

OK, another Q, if my RO unit puts out 30GPD, it will take over 1 day to fill my tank. The sand will get covered fairly quick, but what about the rock? I assume most place rock in tank after it's filled?? I have to order rock and Sand, was going to order them at the same time, but I was thinking I would have to much die off if filled from RO?

robzilla 10-23-2007 12:36 PM

rock is usually shipped in boxes wrapped with damp paper. to wait another day while the tank fills, is not a big deal. i'd order at the same time as you'll have to cycle the tank anyway.
just my 2 cents worth

Doug 10-23-2007 01:16 PM

:mrgreen: Welcome to Canreef.

Lots of info here to read. And a lot of helpful aquarists. :smile: Regarding your water, much of it could be made up in advance in something like a 50g Rubbermaid tub or something similar.

digital-audiophile 10-23-2007 01:46 PM

:) Rubbermaid garbage pails are your friend. I have two in my fish room. One for top off water and one for salt water. If you have the space it is always nice to have made up saltwater on hand incase you need an emergency water change.

SeaHorse_Fanatic 10-23-2007 03:21 PM

Premix your saltwater before adding to the Live Sand or Live Rock. I would fill the tubs or buckets with RO water, add salt & a powerhead & heater. Then measure the salinity after several hours & adjust till its between 1.024 and 1.026. After 24 hours, you can add that to your tank.

Anthony

Der_Iron_Chef 10-23-2007 04:04 PM

Welcome!

Are you definitely wanting a sand substrate, or have you considered the possibility of a barebottom tank? Different looks, pros and cons for each, etc.

As far as live rock....I never considered what "type" of rock I was getting when I bought mine. As long as it was live rock, I was pleased! I personally don't think it matters what type. Some people have preferences, and maybe they can/will chime in. If you're creative with your aquascaping, you can make for an attractive setting.

My advice regarding a clean-up crew is: if you want some crabs, get only one or two. I find that they eventually kill each other off (just my experience talking here), and/or they knock things over. They can also kill snails as they grow larger. I would just focus on having some effective cleaners like snails, and perhaps a cool-looking shrimp for kicks (coral-banded, peppermint, fire, etc.)