Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   help with removal of huge Eunice Worm (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118019)

Ryan7 02-03-2016 08:38 PM

help with removal of huge Eunice Worm

Found a huge Eunice Worm in my 325G reef. I'm estimating it is at least 2ft long and is the thickness of my index finger.

For the longest time I have been blaming my tangs and reef crabs for the bite marks on my sps and disappearing zoa's, but never caught them in the act. Then the other night to my horror I discovered the worm, now he is definitely getting the blame, have managed to see it twice now at night in the tank, but is gone once I get a light on him... didn't appear to retreat to a home of some sort that I could see..

I have read the only success people have in removing them is to dismantle their tank, but there is no way I am going to do that... it would be hard enough for me to remove one rock with all the encrusted corals, assuming I knew the rock it was in...

So I thought someone here might have a clever way to get it out?

I was thinking of baiting a long clear tube at night to see if it crawls in, then take the whole tube out if it does??

Where can I buy local a red lens flash light?

NASTY!

spit.fire 02-03-2016 09:05 PM

Just turn the brightness up on your phone with a red screen, lots of the flashlights you can buy at Canadian tire will have a red led as well

Ryanerickson 02-03-2016 09:55 PM

Sounds nasty hope we get pics if you catch it good luck

corpusse 02-03-2016 10:00 PM

Burn your house down, collect the insurance and start again.

Really a trap is your best bet. Maybe put a pvc pipe with some holes drilled in it and some shrimp or fish or something smelly in just after lights out. Watch with a red flashlight. If you have a spot large enough on your sandbed / bottom that is away from the rock that would be ideal because for all you know he's 8 feet long and you've only seen 2 feet of it.

gobytron 02-03-2016 10:08 PM

sure doesn't sound like it's scavenging for dead things.

you should try to identify whatever it is in your tank that it seems to eat the most, then remove as much of it from your system as you can, then bait a trap with whatever it is.

I don't think you'll read too many successful trapping stories with these guys.

Aquattro 02-03-2016 11:00 PM

I had one years ago, never caught it, but did find the rock it lived in. The rock went into the garden :)

SeaHorse_Fanatic 02-04-2016 12:37 AM

I have a blue UV flashlight you could borrow, but you'd have to make sure you return it afterwards.:wink:

Myka 02-04-2016 01:13 AM

I took one out of my tank a few years back. It was only 11". I knew the general vicinity of where it lived and took apart that side of the tank. Then I squirted soda water in the holes. That didn't work so I did a 50/50 vinegar and water dip...it came out like a rocket and I dropped the rock and screamed like a girl. It had made all sorts of slime coated tunnels under the rocks.

hillegom 02-04-2016 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 981359)
I dropped the rock and screamed like a girl.

lol
:biggrin:

gregzz4 02-04-2016 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillegom (Post 981362)
lol
:biggrin:

Double LOL

I've never read any online posts to support using a trap.
Sorry to say but it looks like you'll need to remove it's 'home' and force it out with club soda.
Keep in mind that it may leave it's tail end behind, so be sure it comes out 'complete'

Good luck!!