Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Sump planning (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=129065)

target 11-05-2019 02:29 AM

Sump planning

2 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

I am getting ready to start a new tank, a 180g, and wanted to get thoughts on my sump design. For the sump I bought a 48x18x20 tank. The chambers from left to right are the drain/skimmer (9.6g), return (9.75g), fuge (13.25g), and ATO reservoir (10g). Total used: 32.6, not counting the ATO. Total available in the sump, not counting ATO would be 53.8g, leaving me with 21.2g of overflow space in the event of a shut down. I've not had a tank this big before. Does that seem like enough room? or would it be better to get a seperate tank for the ATO and use the additional 10g in the sump?

straightrazorguy 11-05-2019 02:45 AM

You can easily calculate the volume you need to accommodate in case of power failure by calculating the volume of water above your return nozzle, the volume in all overflow boxes, etc. Err on the side of caution, ie. allow more volume than you think you need. Nobody likes water on the floor...

WarDog 11-05-2019 04:06 PM

If the drawing is to scale, then i would personally make the return section smaller and increase the size of the fuge.

target 11-05-2019 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarDog (Post 1039115)
If the drawing is to scale, then i would personally make the return section smaller and increase the size of the fuge.

It is to scale. If I make the fuge bigger, I would lose emergency overflow space unless I made the fuge not as deep. Why a bigger fuge?

smokinreefer 11-09-2019 04:26 AM

i agree. bigger fuge, smaller return.

not sure what the purpose for your fuge is; either to grow algaes or pods, but either way bigger fuge means grow more algae and pods.

personally id remove the ATO section from the sump and have a seperate ATO container. unless you are doing that because you have no other space for it.

Ryan 11-09-2019 04:31 AM

I like a larger return section simply for the dead space for emergency overflow if the power goes out.

IMO a fuge is a waste of space. You can achieve better results using a reactor. About the best thing it does is house pods but not sure how many would make it through a return pump.

target 11-09-2019 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinreefer (Post 1039242)
i agree. bigger fuge, smaller return.

not sure what the purpose for your fuge is; either to grow algaes or pods, but either way bigger fuge means grow more algae and pods.

personally id remove the ATO section from the sump and have a seperate ATO container. unless you are doing that because you have no other space for it.

I'd have room to add a separate 10g tank in the stand. Would take up about half the remaining room in my stand but I don't know what else I'd need down there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan (Post 1039245)
I like a larger return section simply for the dead space for emergency overflow if the power goes out.

IMO a fuge is a waste of space. You can achieve better results using a reactor. About the best thing it does is house pods but not sure how many would make it through a return pump.

That was my thinking as well. What kind of reactor would you recommend? I've never used any reactors before.

I should have my return pump by Monday so want to finalize the sump plans so . Lol

cvrle1 11-09-2019 06:32 AM

As others have mentioned take out ATO and do it as a separate container. Once you see how much evaporation you will have, you may find that 10G is an overkill. Personally I am not a fan of putting skimmer in same section as drain without any baffles, but thats just me. I also dont like having fuge after the return, as it harder to get water there, since return is pumping it back into the DT before it gets to fuge. Also, depending on skimmer that you use, make sure you have enough room in the skimmer section, as well as pump if it is external of skimmer. Finally, make sure that you will be able to adjust water level in the skimmer section, as some skimmers have different min/max water levels that they need. These are all the things I was thinking about when i was planning on going with 40g breeder as sump.

straightrazorguy 11-09-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

+ 1 on that idea; you can never have too much emergency space.

Quote:

I have and have run both. Reactors are good while the tank is new, to bring down phosphates, nitrates, etc. And while I agree that a fuge takes more room, it is more beneficial in the long run. It adds biodiversity; it creates an ecosystem of sorts, and it lowers nitrates and phosphates, without GFO and other media. I haven't run GFO in years. The pods are just an added bonus...

target 11-09-2019 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Removed the ATO section. Skimmer area is now 11g, return is 12g, and fuge is 16.5g. Leaves me with 26.5g for backflow room. If I put the return nozzle 3" below the underside of the plastic trim I'd have 21g of overflow assuming the water level was right up to the trim, which the sump could handle. But the water level will probably be closer to only 2" of backflow, which would be only 14g of backflow, leaving me a good safety cushion.