Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lighting Specific (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   torn over lighting.. (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97068)

neoh 04-23-2013 06:25 AM

torn over lighting..

I'm looking to start up, I currently have 4x54w fixtures, but obviously I feel I won't be satisfied with the current setup.

My tank is 60" wide and 16" deep. A very nice, sleek custom acrylic tank.

Looking at the Kessil 350W Tuna Blues, might be too much. Looking at the AI Sols, might be too little.

What would YOU hang over this tank if you wanted no limits to your corals?

I've been research for weeks, and every time I think it's what I need or want, it doesn't work out that way.

I appreciate feedback!

cuz 04-23-2013 01:01 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with any brand name these days, I think it boils down to how much your comfortable spending and what you personally want to see above your tank...

Aquattro 04-23-2013 01:32 PM

Between those 2 options, it comes down to aesthetics. Both are nice lights and will both grow your corals well. Different mounting methods is the primary issue. I would say the Kessil would give less disco effect.

DAVE 04-23-2013 01:42 PM

I would stick with what you have. For the best colour on corals you could supplement the T5's with some Blue LED's.

IMO, switching from T5 to LED would be a mistake.

What is wrong with what you have? What is the bulb configuration?

Quote:

Originally Posted by neoh (Post 813738)
I'm looking to start up, I currently have 4x54w fixtures, but obviously I feel I won't be satisfied with the current setup.

Looking at the Kessil 350W Tuna Blues, might be too much. Looking at the AI Sols, might be too little.

I've been research for weeks, and every time I think it's what I need or want, it doesn't work out that way.

I appreciate feedback!

Myka 04-23-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 813756)
I would say the Kessil would give less disco effect.

Have you seen Kessil in action? There were several at MACNA and the Kessil was one of the worst for disco along with Reef Brites.

I'm not a fan of the AI Sol, I find the color is harsh on the eyes. The Vega is nicer. Both of these two have BIG punch - they have narrow optics so spread isn't as good and there is more color separation, but they punch down a long way. They are great for deep tanks (like 24-30"). Personally, I don't like how they look on shallow tanks because of the color separation (disco).

monocus 04-23-2013 02:23 PM

lighting

after trying a lot of different brands of led;all my other builds will now be diy.you can use different watts,drivers,colours,etc, to get what you want

Aquattro 04-23-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 813760)
Have you seen Kessil in action? There were several at MACNA and the Kessil was one of the worst for disco along with Reef Brites.

yup. I have to say they had the least amount of separation I've seen so far.

JmeJReefer 04-23-2013 05:13 PM

I'm a DIY'er, and have used t5's, MH's, and currently have full spectrum LED par38's and par30's. I can swap out the bulbs anytime for another color blend and if u go diy route, color options are endless, less heat output, power consumption etc. as for disco effect, it's a matter of preference. Doesn't bother me.

kien 04-23-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neoh (Post 813738)

I appreciate feedback!

Get yourself a couple of GHL Mitras. Done. Thank me later :-)

Bblinks 04-23-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 813814)
Get yourself a couple of GHL Mitras. Done. Thank me later :-)

Kien, did you swap your lighting over?