Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Saskatchewan (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   ATTN: Saskatoonians....LOL (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53302)

Rbacchiega 06-03-2009 03:50 PM

ATTN: Saskatoonians....LOL

I'm headed out there end of this month for a bowling tournament (yeah, that's right, I said bowling) and a few of us really want to hit up a sushi restaraunt when we're there. We're staying at a hotel on Spadina Cres, near the river, so somewhere close to there would be fantastic.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, and I notice there's the Jazz festival going on while I'm there...stoked!

Thanks

Snaz 06-03-2009 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rbacchiega (Post 425702)
and a few of us really want to hit up a sushi restaraunt when we're there.

Sushi in Sasketchewan? perhaps I am mistaken but does the MIDDLE of the freaking country with the only saltwater in the province being that in your aquariums really have sushi?

Myka 06-03-2009 05:01 PM

I'm new to Saskatoon, and not much of a sushi fan, so I can't help you out there. Sorry! I'm more of a crab and lobster person. Yum! :D

BUT...if you're interested in some frag trades or a mini BBQ with some beers and fishy talk, let me know and you're welcome to stop by! I think we're fairly close in age...? I am in the NW part of the city, so should be close to where you will be entering/leaving. :)

rstar 06-03-2009 07:22 PM

There is a little place right off broadway (close to downtown) called sushiro, address is 737b 10th St E they have pretty good sushi. But if you want an authentic get a cab to Yohei, its the only Japanese owned restaurant in saskatoon, service is a little slow but the sushi is most excellent. the address there is 3602 Taylor St. There is also Ottowa its right downtown at 227 2nd Ave S but the prices are STEEP food is ok though! One more restaurant downtown called the Samurai its at 601 Spadina (the side of the bessborough hotel) i think its more of a steak house and is real classy dining!

Scythanith 06-04-2009 04:42 AM

I'm a fan of Sushiro. When I eat sushi it's from there. The Samurai has a sushi bar as well. It's set up where your chef is in front of you and they cook your food at your table. Decent food when I was there and a touch of a show as well. All of these places could be easily walked to from Downtown on Spadina. I have never eaten at Yohei, but it alwyas looks to have meal deals on the sign outside when I drive by.

PM some of us for tank tours or trades if you're interested!

Scott

BlueAbyss 06-04-2009 07:42 AM

All of those mentioned above are excellent restaurants... I highly recommend the green tea ice cream if you go to Sushiro.

TheMikey 06-04-2009 02:28 PM

Sushiro has good sushi but it's expensive. When my girlfriend and I go there usually the bill is $50-60 for the pair.

I've never been to the Samurai for sushi, but their meals are top notch.

Yohei is alright, but their sushi is really basic. Mostly just rolls: seaweed, rice, and a small piece of fish. It wasn't bad, but Sushiro is better.

Stay away from Otawa. They charge Sushiro prices for Yohei-type sushi.

The only other place in the city that I've had Sushi is at a little restaurant off of 2nd Ave. called "Noodle King and Ice Cream Queen". It doesn't have a sit down restaurant kind of feel too it (more like a cafeteria feel, tbh) but it's super casual and the Sushi is on par with Sushiro for a fraction of the price. Might be worth checking out :)

Hope this helped!

Rbacchiega 06-04-2009 02:53 PM

thanks for all the help guys and gals! Unfortunately, we're flying in and being a national competative event (blah blah blah) don't get much free time that isn't planned out. Sushiro is is! Green tea Ice cream sounds AMAZING.....yum!

Snaz 06-04-2009 05:26 PM

Well Sushi is still questionable in my mind but Saskatchewan has THE FASTEST ADSL in North America.

Actual Negotiated Upstream Baud Rate: 956 Kbps
Actual Negotiated Downstream Baud Rate: 11964 Kbps

Thats solid 11 gb downstream on two tiny pieces of copper wire! Not pseudo "burst" speeds like cable.

Floop70 06-04-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaz (Post 425948)
Actual Negotiated Upstream Baud Rate: 956 Kbps
Actual Negotiated Downstream Baud Rate: 11964 Kbps

Thats solid 11 gb downstream on two tiny pieces of copper wire! Not pseudo "burst" speeds like cable.

Unfortunately Telus offers nothing near that - at least here in Lloyd. I had a 3Mbps service which never clocked in above 1.5 or 2. I switched to Shaw and now I enjoy 15, which bumps up to about 20 at the beginning of a download. I have to admit though, we had Sasktel before moving across the street to Alberta and it was always fast and stable.