Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Filtration and Skimmer Specific (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   phosphate control product??? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85528)

Duker 04-19-2012 03:50 AM

phosphate control product???

Hey all, just wondering what people are using BESIDES regular GFO, or Rowaphos?
I have used both, regular GFO and now onto Rowaphos, but I need something stronger....any suggestions?

freezetyle 04-19-2012 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duker (Post 707233)
I have used both, regular GFO and now onto Rowaphos, but I need something stronger....any suggestions?

TimT gave me some samples of the Foz Down stuff. you could swipe of of those bottles to try. Or asks Aqua_digital to give you a sample.

Just put a filter sock on the end of your drain plumbing and dose it into the overflow portion. It should precipitate into the filter sock. similar (sounds exactly) to lanthanum chloride that they use in pools

reefwars 04-19-2012 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duker (Post 707233)

if you need something stronger than gfo then i would start looking into where all this phosphate is coming from??

whatcaneyedo 04-19-2012 04:41 AM

Besides regular GFO I do these:
'Oversized' skimmer
10% weekly water changes
Calcium hydroxide
Macro algae
Strain frozen food of its packing water after thawing
Manageable livestock load.

Phosphate and the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php

Several retailers also sell high capacity GFO.

TimT 04-19-2012 04:56 AM

Foz Down works great and I have used it here for years.

Since I don't thaw and refreeze my Pacifica Plankton when I make it there is no water to discard. I don't rinse the Pacifica Plankton when I feed it as the juice off of it has lots of minerals, amino acids and fatty acids that the corals love.

reefwars 04-19-2012 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimT (Post 707261)

Since I don't thaw and refreeze my Pacifica Plankton when I make it there is no water to discard. I don't rinse the Pacifica Plankton when I feed it as the juice off of it has lots of minerals, amino acids and fatty acids that the corals love.

i love pacifica plankton i think its an incrdible product i also dont rinse it, i do for just about all my other frozen but i find the corals love the juices, i use the juices to entise my nps to come out for feedings:)

whatcaneyedo 04-19-2012 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimT (Post 707261)

I have a package of that in my freezer that I occasionally feed my fish. On the package it says "*Rinse before feeding". So I'm a little confused. If you're against rinsing it why does your packaging say to rinse?

TimT 04-19-2012 05:43 AM

I have an over sized downdraft skimmer(ETSS 1000) running ozone. My set up can handle a little extra "juice". Other people may not be running a monster skimmer with ozone and have different maintenance regimes than I do. The "Rinse before feeding" recommendation is so they don't potentially overload their tanks. Just trying to be helpful is all :)

monocus 04-19-2012 05:58 AM

phosphate

make yourself an algae scrubber-they work great

Duker 04-19-2012 03:45 PM

Hmm, well I just might try the Poz down.

Ya, I do 20 gallon H2O changes weekly (approx 20%), have the 30 gallon fuge (as my signature line says, 15 gallon mangroves tank, and ya I rinse my food. I din't need help figuring out where it comes from-I know where it comes from --thanks tho. Just wanna know what everyone is using. Or if there are any new products out there I could try.

Thanks Jon, when r u in the store next? I gotta come up there and get the hanna phosphate reagents too. :0)