Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   coral nipping angels? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50446)

68shelby 03-11-2009 01:37 AM

coral nipping angels?

I want to get a flame angel or a coral beauty and half of what Ive read says you can keep them with corals they wont nip and others say they will definitely nip. I have an auusie acan, frogspawn, hammer corals pineapple coral a few leathers, some mushrooms Any responses? Ive heard the best one is the coral beauty. 100g corner round tank.

new but handy 03-11-2009 01:42 AM

the rumor is, every fish is different, coral beautys are SUPPOSED to be a little better, but there is no way to know! IMO just assume an angel will nip at your coral so don't be surprised (or mad) if one does.

my2rotties 03-11-2009 01:48 AM

I have a coral beauty and he does not nip at my corals so far...

marie 03-11-2009 01:53 AM

You take your chances, it's the luck of the draw.

If you get one be prepared to remove corals or fish if you have to :biggrin:

Mrfish55 03-11-2009 02:07 AM

I had a flame angel for 5 years, only ever nipped at my clams and took care of the fan worm population but never bothered any of the lps in the tank, but then I think fish are like people, there is the odd Charles Manson lurking in a tank somewhere, never know till you try, I think tank mates will affect behaviour as well.

ocean diver 03-11-2009 02:48 AM

I have a 55gal reef tank with a clam, zoas, finger leather, sps, GSP, open brain and others. I also have a flame angel and he has never picked at anything, he is my favorite fish the way they swim around and through everything.

Trigger Man 03-11-2009 02:50 AM

I've had a Flame angel for almost 2 years now and it does not nip at any of my sps, lps, acans, zoas etc. I know atleast a dozen people with Flames that have no problems as well. One thing to note is that the survival rate of them has gone down in the last while. Not sure if capture methods have changed or what, but it has been known to just die a couple of months in for no apparent reason.

marie 03-11-2009 03:03 AM

My flame angel loved montipora polyps, my potters angel couldn't leave the porites alone and my cherub was fine until I put the potters in the same tank and then it developed a taste for sps polyps too.
My majestic ate frogspawn and my regal eats everything... as I said its the luck of the draw and now everyone knows why I don't buy lottery tickets :lol:

my2rotties 03-11-2009 04:47 AM

At least your regal is eating:lol: I hear they mostly starve in captivity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marie (Post 397955)
My flame angel loved montipora polyps, my potters angel couldn't leave the porites alone and my cherub was fine until I put the potters in the same tank and then it developed a taste for sps polyps too.
My majestic ate frogspawn and my regal eats everything... as I said its the luck of the draw and now everyone knows why I don't buy lottery tickets :lol:

Red Coral Aquariums 03-11-2009 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new but handy (Post 397926)
the rumor is, every fish is different, coral beautys are supposed to be a little better, but there is no way to know! Imo just assume an angel will nip at your coral so don't be surprised (or mad) if one does.

+1