Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #1 (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Livestock Budget Increase Poll (Contest Members Only) (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46098)

JDigital 10-27-2008 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michika (Post 354961)
Should I be voting?

Nope.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketlily (Post 354962)
Would the contest then be open to people who like the new budget but originaly did not join because of the old limit? Would those not in favor of of a budget change (if it was to be voted in) be allowed to leave the contest due to the change in rules, with a refund of entry dues?

I really have to think about this, as I am sure some people, including myself, sat down and thought about the original budget and what they could achieve before signing up for the competition. If I had thought in the beginning that I couldn't do a tank for $300, I would not have entered.

I would have thought that those who alloted a major portion of their budget for equipment would have realized that it left very little for livestock. Changing the rules seems to me to be rewarded people for bad budgeting.

Quote: "I've done the best I can to alter this contest for fit into our forum here on Canreef, but the fact is that not everyone will be happy with the contest rules as they've been established. If you don't think that you can participate under the established guidelines, then your time and $$ is probably best spent on a tank that you truly will enjoy and keep in the long run."

If this change in budget happens, when will the next change be voted on and when do we stop the changes?

This is the one and only change I am putting up for vote. Like I said in my original post, some people think its a good idea, and I know others entered the contest based on the original budget.

If members are going to drop out of the contest because of this change, then I will shut this poll down, and we'll stay where we are at. There also won't be any changes made to others entering the contest. It was a headache to keep track of everyones payments the first time, I'm not doing it again. :lol:

This increase is only for Livestock. It's not meant for extra equipment and such.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaloupa (Post 354969)
I'm kinda with Rocketlilly...if my budget had been bigger I might have gone for a MH on my tank...but couldn't with the budget so bought a brand new fixture that I might not have otherwise bought. I thought the challenge was to have a budgeted amt. and work with that...yep, it will be tough....but doable? Absolutely! Could I work with more money, yes.....do I want to have that and waste the way I've tried to go already....not so sure. I'm gonna be thinkin on it too.

Again, This increase is for Livestock Only. It shouldn't affect how we have built our tanks up to this point.

Der_Iron_Chef 10-27-2008 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDigital (Post 354983)
Again, This increase is for Livestock Only. It shouldn't affect how we have built our tanks up to this point.

Just playing devil's advocate here (and because I understand Chaloupa's point), but the original budget didn't differentiate between money spent on hardware and money spent on livestock, did it? It only stated that you had $300. So if I chose to spend $200 on a light, I'd have $100 left for fish & corals....but if someone else spent $50 on a light, they'd have $250 left. Correct? So how do you say it's only for livestock when the $300 wasn't initially divided into hardware/livestock, and so on?

rocketlily 10-27-2008 03:34 AM

Quote "Again, This increase is for Livestock Only. It shouldn't affect how we have built our tanks up to this point."

So if we went with expensive equipment to start, we now would have extra to spend on stock, but if we went thrifty on our equipement to start to allow ourselves with extra funds for livestock and our tank is now full, we cannot upgrade or add better equipment?

sphelps 10-27-2008 03:52 AM

This latest point is mostly my fault I made the suggestion originally for the extra money to be for livestock only. However that's basically impossible since only one budget exists and it includes both equipment and livestock. So unless JDigital has something else in mind the only way to do this increase would be to increase the one and only budget which is for both equipment and livestock, but the idea was to allow for more livestock not equipment.

I also agree that if people really feel that strongly about the initial budget that they'll quit the contest we should forget about the increase. Honestly the idea was to benefit all equally and although I might argue with you all to the death if in the end you still feel no increase should take place then I guess the only fair result will be to keep things as originally decided. But remember despite some of the previous arguments this is for fun and try and think of the other people in the contest rather than just yourselves.

Chaloupa 10-27-2008 03:56 AM

and how to do you make it so that it's only spent on livestock..others have yet to get their water flowing.....how can you be sure that it was spent on livestock and not equipment...I say if the budget is to be increased....it is just increased...not "livestock" only...I don't think that will work out very well....in the beginning we were just given x amount of dollars...make it work or don't compete....not this much to equip this much to livestock and then upping our livestock budget.

Chaloupa 10-27-2008 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 354989)
But remember despite some of the previous arguments this is for fun and try and think of the other people in the contest rather than just yourselves.

I don't think anyone here can be blamed for thinking only of themselves. I think we're all thinking of the fairness and the original context/guidelines of the rules.

JDigital 10-27-2008 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketlily (Post 354986)
Quote "Again, This increase is for Livestock Only. It shouldn't affect how we have built our tanks up to this point."

So if we went with expensive equipment to start, we now would have extra to spend on stock, but if we went thrifty on our equipement to start to allow ourselves with extra funds for livestock and our tank is now full, we cannot upgrade or add better equipment?

Yes, you do have a VERY valid point, and to be honest I never really thought about that. I was thinking the extra livestock would benefit all.

Ryan_Lap 10-27-2008 04:06 AM

Maybe everyone should just vote. When the closing date comes then we do whatever the majority wants?

Sounds simple enough to me.

Chaloupa 10-27-2008 05:02 AM

Sounds good to me Ryan.

Chaloupa 10-27-2008 07:41 AM

I voted......ah well, at least with that extra $100.00 if it happens....it could be fun....but I might try to stay close to the original...just to see if I can!:biggrin: