Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Near miss, and saved by J&L (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118103)

The Guy 02-09-2016 03:23 PM

Near miss, and saved by J&L

While doing my pump maintenance I discovered a badly cracked & swollen impellor armature on one of the rear sump pumps, of course it was the larger more expensive one, Off to J&L and hoped they could help me out, the pump is made by Sicci for Red Sea. Thanks again J&L for having the exact replacement Impellor in stock. :biggrin: Need I say more.

Ace Storman 02-09-2016 04:03 PM

Laurie, could be worse, pump could of been a Red Dragon...$200+ for that one :surprise:

The Guy 02-09-2016 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace Storman (Post 982040)
Laurie, could be worse, pump could of been a Red Dragon...$200+ for that one :surprise:

Bad enough paying $87.95 + taxes for the impeller
, but a lot cheaper than replacing the whole pump :lol:

brisco 02-14-2016 12:25 AM

What is it with red dragon anyway...how come they are so expensive to replace? Mine is running well for now....

hillegom 02-14-2016 12:30 AM

It would come from across the big pond in the east

brisco 02-14-2016 04:15 AM

I thought everything was made in China these days, especially with a name like Red Dragon! lol

The Guy 02-14-2016 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brisco (Post 982669)
I thought everything was made in China these days, especially with a name like Red Dragon! lol

Well not Sicci pumps there made in Italy. :lol:

Aquattro 02-14-2016 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brisco (Post 982628)
What is it with red dragon anyway...how come they are so expensive to replace? Mine is running well for now....

The "red dragon" BK Mini pumps are simply rebranded Laguna/Askoll pumps. Those are about $150 retail, I'm guessing. Then BK adds their own sticker to it, that adds a few cents on. For the skimmers, they then add a custom volute, which probably incurred decent R&D costs, so now double the Laguna cost. Add some profit, re-shipping back to where the Lagunas started from, it all adds up.

The Guy 02-14-2016 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 982695)
The "red dragon" BK Mini pumps are simply rebranded Laguna/Askoll pumps. Those are about $150 retail, I'm guessing. Then BK adds their own sticker to it, that adds a few cents on. For the skimmers, they then add a custom volute, which probably incurred decent R&D costs, so now double the Laguna cost. Add some profit, re-shipping back to where the Lagunas started from, it all adds up.

The Red Sea pump is made by Sicci and rebranded so I was able to use the Sicci replacement impeller from a #3 pump which has exactly the same the flow rating. Not cheap but cheaper than a new pump replacement. :smile:

Aquattro 02-14-2016 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Guy (Post 982701)
The Red Sea pump is made by Sicci and rebranded so I was able to use the Sicci replacement impeller from a #3 pump which has exactly the same the flow rating. Not cheap but cheaper than a new pump replacement. :smile:

Ya, I bought a Laguna block for a third of the cost of a RD replacement. Same damn pump.