Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   FOWLR (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Low Ph (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41130)

Norstar 04-06-2008 05:56 PM

Low Ph

Hi

I set up a saltwater tank approx. 2 weeks ago, and I've noticed I have a low PH reading of 7.7. I have some cured live rock in the tank, and the lights are on approx. 6 hrs a day. I haven't done a water change, and I don't know about the other parameters yet.

Should I be concerned about the low PH? If so, would baking soda raise it?

Thanks

Camille

Aquattro 04-06-2008 06:30 PM

You need to test the NH3 levels (ammonia). A water change might help, although 7.7 isn't going to do much harm. Organic acids from setting up will lower the pH, it will rise once things become stable and you do a few water changes.

bv_reefer 04-06-2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norstar (Post 316038)
Hi

I set up a saltwater tank approx. 2 weeks ago, and I've noticed I have a low PH reading of 7.7. I have some cured live rock in the tank, and the lights are on approx. 6 hrs a day. I haven't done a water change, and I don't know about the other parameters yet.

Should I be concerned about the low PH? If so, would baking soda raise it?

Thanks

Camille

yes baking soda works great but raise it gradually, stability is more important than the specific # it is-

Aquattro 04-06-2008 06:48 PM

what I was saying is no, don't use baking soda. Find out why the pH is low and correct it. Then the pH will be "normal"...

Myka 04-06-2008 06:59 PM

I agree with Aquattro, don't screw withthe pH. Don't even worry about the pH for the first month...you shouldn't be putting any critters in there in the first month anyway.

Norstar 04-06-2008 08:39 PM

Thanks everybody!

rocketlily 04-06-2008 10:47 PM

My PH was low when I first started also. I was using RO water with a good quality reef salt, but was told that I should be using salt especially for RO water. Seems to have helped. My PH is now around 8.0 in the morning and 8.2 in the evening.

Also I 've noticed that the PH levels are quite wacky when the battery gets low on the PH monitor.

fkshiu 04-06-2008 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketlily (Post 316103)
My PH was low when I first started also. I was using RO water with a good quality reef salt, but was told that I should be using salt especially for RO water. Seems to have helped. My PH is now around 8.0 in the morning and 8.2 in the evening.

More likely your live rock simply finished re-curing which stabilized your pH. Let me guess, an LFS convinced you to buy this "special" RO-water salt.

rocketlily 04-07-2008 02:04 PM

Of course. Since I had only been doing this for a few weeks I knew I should buy everything they recommended.

Myka 04-07-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketlily (Post 316234)
Of course. Since I had only been doing this for a few weeks I knew I should buy everything they recommended.

It almost sounds like you're being sarcastic, but if not, here's your first lesson: Most LFS employees have no clue what they're talking about, or they are stuck in the 90s and don't realise there are much more updated methods.

There is no salt that is "especially for RO". What salt did they recommend to you?

Welcome to CanReef, the place where you'll learn more than the LFS employees. :D