Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Marine Fish (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   melanurus wrasse questions. (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101512)

Titan445 10-16-2013 03:17 AM

melanurus wrasse questions.

Hey everyone, I am planning on picking one of these fish up on Friday. Has anyone had any experience with this fish. I have a lot of flatworms. I have tried treating them and they just keep coming back. I must have thousands. I have read about this wrasse eating them, so I'm going to give it a shot. Has anyone had any luck. Seems to be a beautiful fish also. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Taipan 10-16-2013 03:32 AM

It's a beautiful fish and it's been well documented for flatworms. However; each fish has a different personality. Hopefully it finds your flatworms tasty. Like most wrasse; it needs a place to burrow in the substrate to sleep at night....or at the very least lots of hiding spaces in rock work. Quite hardy and animated.

You'll find it will also keep other pests in check as well. It will pick at your rock work for star fish etc. :)

Red lined wrasses are great too for keeping pests in check.

*Note....they (wrasses) are jumpers when startled. Try and have your display enclosed if possible.

jorjef 10-16-2013 03:41 AM

I bought mine for a minor outbreak of flatworms. He ate them and just about any other creepy crawly he could get ahold of. When ever I move a coral that sits on the substrate he's RIGHT there waiting to pounce on anything lurking under it.

duncangweller 10-16-2013 04:19 AM

I have one and he is the chief of my tank. He's a great fish who never stops hunting. Just bear in mind that you couldn't get a mandarin if you have one of these as it will pick your DT bare of pods.

He disappears as soon as the lights go off and I'm never quick enough to see where he goes. And definitely cover your tank well if you get one.

This guy just may well be my favourite.

Dunc

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

lastlight 10-16-2013 05:43 AM

they love monti-eating nudis too. def more aggressive than leopards...

Wheelman76 10-16-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncangweller (Post 851896)
I have one and he is the chief of my tank. He's a great fish who never stops hunting. Just bear in mind that you couldn't get a mandarin if you have one of these as it will pick your DT bare of pods.

He disappears as soon as the lights go off and I'm never quick enough to see where he goes. And definitely cover your tank well if you get one.

This guy just may well be my favourite.

Dunc

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I have a Melanarus wrasse , as well as a pair of Mandarins that only eat pods and everyone is fat and healthy.

duncangweller 10-16-2013 01:25 PM

I stand corrected. I can't find a pod in my DT for love nor money.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

reefwars 10-16-2013 01:52 PM

I've kept a melanarus with three dragonettes;)

Awesome guard fish and mine is my guard dog , full grown pest destroying machine even yesterday he snagged a 5" bristle worm , poor worm never stood a chance lol

Trocar70 10-16-2013 05:59 PM

hey everyone, thanks for the info.I'm pretty excited to pick mine up on Friday.
I hope he has a big apatite, and takes a liking to my flatworms :lol: I will let everyone know once he settles in....thanks again all.:mrgreen:

Trocar70 10-22-2013 09:55 PM

Well here is my new fish. He settled in very nicley.