Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Someone explain to me this! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112192)

Aquattro 02-14-2015 12:22 AM

Someone explain to me this!

Ok, I'm opinionated. Everyone knows that. So here's my latest. If you've been in the hobby for more than a few months, you should own your own test kits and not mooch off the LFS.

How is it ok to keep doing this? I know people in 10 years that still mooch off the LFS. Really??? How is this happening?

Who else has an opinion? :)

Slyguy00 02-14-2015 12:24 AM

I wouldn't trust the lfs if my life depended on it. IV had bad luck with other people testing my water for me. That's my opinion

Reef Pilot 02-14-2015 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 935487)

Are you trying to catch a marlin or a flounder?:mrgreen:

API all the way...:lol:

Aquattro 02-14-2015 12:38 AM

lol, not fishing, just get irked when I see this all the time. Remember my thread about the cost of reefing? I wasn't kidding. It's expensive, and one of the cheapest things in the hobby is a test kit. If you can't afford a test kit, maybe collecting hats is a better hobby. (see? opinionated :))

RMC 02-14-2015 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 935487)
Ok, I'm opinionated. Everyone knows that. So here's my latest. If you've been in the hobby for more than a few months, you should own your own test kits and not mooch off the LFS.

How is it ok to keep doing this? I know people in 10 years that still mooch off the LFS. Really??? How is this happening?

Opinion or fact? :biggrin:

Other than to verify the accuracy of your own test, no one should rely on the LFS to perform test for you.

Scythanith 02-14-2015 12:39 AM

Your LFS doesn't charge for testing? If not they should be.

Aquattro 02-14-2015 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scythanith (Post 935494)
Your LFS doesn't charge for testing? If not they should be.

I agree. It costs them materials and labour. They should at least recoup costs.

SeaHorse_Fanatic 02-14-2015 12:42 AM

I usually recommend newbies have the LFS test their water for them. But yeah, after they've been in it for a few months and think they are going to stay in the hobby, then its time to get test kits to do it at home.

Once in a blue moon I'll bring my water sample in to the LFS to get it tested but that's mainly to verify my own. I also get a good friend of mine with Hanna checkers to test for certain elements because those are supposedly more accurate than the Salifert kits I use.

Aquattro 02-14-2015 12:43 AM

Anthony, yes, in the early days, or as a blue moon check up, sure. But once you're in it, you need to own your own stuff.

Reef Pilot 02-14-2015 12:47 AM

Maybe you should have a poll... See how many freeloaders fess up...:neutral: