Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Might have to eat my own words re: quarantine (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82554)

Aquattro 01-29-2012 04:41 PM

Might have to eat my own words re: quarantine

So it looks like something I've added may have introduced velvet into my tank. Lost a tang yesterday, and it looks like my filefish isn't going to make it through the day. I've never actually seen velvet, so not sure that's what it is, but more of the fish are developing marks on them, and I'm not optimistic that this is going to end well.

Options? Best way to deal with this is find new tank, set it up somewhere, tear apart reef, catch fish and treat. Hope that the tank can go back together in some sort of fashion without killing all my corals.

What's option "B"?

As an aside, I won't be bringing any frags to the swap today, probably not worth the risk of spreading this.

MarkoD 01-29-2012 04:50 PM

Try herbtana. It's reef safe

SeaHorse_Fanatic 01-29-2012 04:52 PM

That's terrible. I've gone through it myself and so have some friends.

Leaving it untreated will almost guarantee a near wipeout. Its a PITA but catching them out and treating them with some copper-based med. like Cupramine I think is the only way to stop M.V.

It looks like ick but much more small white specks and then it just coats the fish till they look kinda fuzzy. Nasty, nasty stuff.

Hope you come out of this better than I did. It almost caused me to quit the hobby.

Anthony

Borderjumper 01-29-2012 04:53 PM

CRAP! I've never seen velvet either so I don't have anything to offer, other than just... CRAP!:sad:

Acipenser 01-29-2012 04:53 PM

Ouch that's my biggest fear. I don't have a quarantine tank either - so far I have been lucky -

ScubaSteve 01-29-2012 04:53 PM

Get a hold of Chin, Anthony or Tom R. They gone through this. Biggest thing is to act fast. Is it a reef tank or fowlr?

Aquattro 01-29-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve (Post 676545)
Get a hold of Chin, Anthony or Tom R. They gone through this. Biggest thing is to act fast. Is it a reef tank or fowlr?

Full SPS reef with no chance of catching the fish. I'd have to tear it down.

Aquattro 01-29-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acipenser (Post 676544)
so far I have been lucky -

I guess I have too, been doing this 12 years and I've never really seen velvet. Except I guess at Anthony's house, but mine aren't gasping.

marie 01-29-2012 05:08 PM

Advanced marine velvet makes the fish look like they have been coated with flour, copper treatment and quarantine is the best way to treat it.

Fish with marine velvet get very twitchy and hide in the rocks

you can do the freshwater dip but that means having multiple hospital tanks where you dip the fish and put them in a fresh hospital tank every couple of days.......very labour intensive

Aquattro 01-29-2012 05:11 PM

Just lost the filefish. The problem is catching any of these fish, I'd really have to tear the tank apart. I may have to try and catch what I can with the fish trap, catch my wrasses at night while in the sand. The smaller ones might have to stay in, like the damsels and spotted goby. I'm going to try and set up a tank and catch what I can...