Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Calgary (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   RO/DI QUESTION (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101276)

cbrine 10-06-2013 04:56 PM

RO/DI QUESTION

So I've finally talked hubs into letting me get a RO/DI unit. I really do not want to have to plumb it into existing water lines since I want to be able to simply move it when we move the tanks into the basement once development is done.
Can anyone recommend a great RO/DI unit that won't break the bank? Hubby is not going to be thrilled if I drop $400-$500 for one.

Thoughts?? Thanks for all your help!

duncangweller 10-06-2013 05:02 PM

I have one from bulk reef supply and it does the trick. Think it cost me $220ish. It comes with a hose pipe adapter so you can link it to a garden hose, or you can buy a sink adapter from home depot and run it from a regular faucet.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

jagermaier 10-06-2013 05:12 PM

Aquasafecanada has a 7 stage RO/DI for $150 with free shipping. They are based out of Vancouver. You can also get good deals on replacement cartridges there as well.

jagermaier 10-06-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagermaier (Post 849931)
Aquasafecanada has a 7 stage RO/DI for $150 with free shipping. They are based out of Vancouver. You can also get good deals on replacement cartridges there as well.

Plus it comes with a free TDS meter as well :biggrin:

Kryptic4L 10-06-2013 08:13 PM

vertex deluxe puratek. worth every cent.

SoloSK71 10-06-2013 09:01 PM

For Calgary and area the aquasafe is all you need, and they are 20% off with free shipping.

Unless you are not on city water and need higher pressure or flow.

Charles

reefwars 10-06-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryptic4L (Post 849977)
vertex deluxe puratek. worth every cent.

+1 def a good unit:)

cbrine 10-06-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefwars (Post 849991)
+1 def a good unit:)

We plan to move to sundre (if we dont get posted to somewhere else) sooooo I don't want to have to change my system when we move to meet the needs of that area.

Ill have to see what Concept can get it for..... ;)

mike31154 10-07-2013 03:50 PM

Test your current water source or download the info from your supplier. Knowing your home water pressure, temperature & incoming TDS will all be great info in helping to decide what unit to buy without going overkill with extra stages & unnecessary options. Eg, if your house pressure is at least 65 psi or more, you don't need a booster pump. Your house may have a PRV (pressure reducing valve) in the plumbing and these are adjustable within a certain range. You may be able to bump up the pressure in your house by tweaking the PRV. If you consider this, be advised that you'll need to ensure all your plumbing downstream of the PRV is in good condition. Most home plumbing is rated for 200 psi or better, so really shouldn't be an issue.

As far as changing your system, you'll find that most RODI units used in our hobby are built using standard 10" filter housings and regardless of manufacturer, you can usually add on or remove stages quite easily if your source water changes significantly as in the case of a move elsewhere. Booster pumps can also be added later no problem.

A good starting unit will have at least one pressure guage & a dual TDS meter, one sediment filter, a good quality carbon block, RO membrane & vertically mounted DI stage. You can add on & expand from there as needed.

Here's a link to FAQ at BFS. I did not buy my system from them, but I've seen that they consistently give good advice on many marine forums.
http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/FAQ.asp#FAQ21

SoloSK71 10-07-2013 03:52 PM

I am curious as to why you feel a vertical DI orientation is needed?

Charles