Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Marine Fish (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Tangs not meant to be or what??? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111268)

smitas5 01-02-2015 02:06 AM

Tangs not meant to be or what???

2 months ago lost a very nice clown tang only 3-4 weeks in without any signs og sickness.
Today lost naso tang only 2-3 weeks in too. He did have some spots on his fins. Maybe 4-5 in total, feeding like crazy, did not see any issues with him, but had to treat the tank for second time for fluke parasite with prazipro, found naso dead next day... Is it the species or me?.. Too afraid to buy another tang now.
Other fish in the tank. Yellow boxfish ( a bit ichy), six line wrasse, blue cheek trigger, 2 true percula clowns, some other red wrasse in 120G
Water is tested couple times a month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ocean diver 01-02-2015 02:09 AM

Where did these tang come from?

smitas5 01-02-2015 02:14 AM

Clown tang from Wei's in Calgary. Naso from Bayside Corals in Saskatoon.

ocean diver 01-02-2015 02:20 AM

This has happened to me before, all is good for about a week, then you find them dead. I now have other tangs that I have had for 4 years now.

smitas5 01-02-2015 02:46 AM

Naso was doing great at the shop and in my tank... He was most active, eating all types a food... Crazy... I wanted blond naso and hypo tang, now having second thoughts about it

corpusse 01-02-2015 03:16 AM

Before you get any more fish you should remove all your existing fish and treat them for ich. Then leave your tank fish less for 72 days. Only then will it be safe to add new fish. New arrivals should be quarantined for at least 30 days.

smitas5 01-02-2015 04:13 AM

How do you keep the fish for 72 days outside of the tank? I mean no live rock etc... Do you change water every day? I only have small treatment tank of 20G.. Dont think that will be big enough for 6-7 fish.

Aquattro 01-02-2015 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitas5 (Post 927983)
How do you keep the fish for 72 days outside of the tank? I mean no live rock etc... Do you change water every day? I only have small treatment tank of 20G.. Dont think that will be big enough for 6-7 fish.

No, you would need a suitable size tank with hiding places and some method of filtration. My 90 QT tank has a large aquaclear and about 60lb of live rock.

While the above advice is great, it's not practical for most people.

lockrookie 01-02-2015 06:34 AM

Did you name the fish? I find if I name them they die..

I have used a product that is reef safe for corals and inverts with great success in the past called "rid ich" it won't discolour silicone I just wish I could find it again locally. There is a powder blue with ich I want but wish to pre treat in qt first

lockrookie 01-02-2015 06:36 AM

Side note: this is why I let the wife name our kids as well... Just sayin