Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Maintaining Levels in Tank (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122516)

gmann 02-16-2017 07:11 PM

Maintaining Levels in Tank

Hi,

Just wondering what everyone uses to maintain the Alk/ CA levels in their tank? I have been manually dosing for the last little bit, and its getting tiresome. I've read about a CA reactor and Kalk, but im leaning towards a 3-4 pump doser.

Leaning towards to doser as it seems noob proof, but just looking for feedback as to weather or not this would be the most beneficial maintenance method for my tank.

tank is 220+ gallons.

CoralPatron 02-16-2017 07:48 PM

Doser

I think doser makes things easier.

Galizio 02-16-2017 09:02 PM

I use a doser, can't complain, pretty simple and need some adjustment every once in a while, I use C-Balance and mag to keep the levels steady... my tank is only 100g water volume, so I do not have to dose much at the moment.
I think mostly depends on what is the demand of your tank, and maybe for a tank over 120-150g a calcium reactor is a better option due to the cost in the long run...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

straightrazorguy 02-16-2017 10:33 PM

For a tank your size, a calcium reactor would probably make the most sense, especially if you have lots of SPS. It's fiddly to set up, but once you nail it it's set it and forget it. I know, because I went from manual dosing to dosing pumps to calcium reactor (plus kalk). I found the routine of constantly having to make and replenish the Alk and Calcium solutions annoying.

Just my $ 0.02

gmann 02-16-2017 11:29 PM

thanks. I only have lps atm. I guess my issue with a CA reactor is I have some weird fear that the CO2 tank will leak or something and blow up my house (I don't know if its possible or not, but yeah paranoid lol).

Anyways i'll look more into a reactor. thanks

tang daddy 02-16-2017 11:32 PM

I've seen your tank and while you're lightly stocked on corals unless your planning on stuffing your tank with full of sps a doser will work fine, just order the 5g pails from brs and you're good to go.

I have 2 jebao dosers and they are hassle free calibrate it and off you go.

I've also owned a vertex doser before aswell easy to set up and touch screen display is awesome but clunky size is a downside.

Also a ca reactor I think initially costs a lot, like over $1k once you factor in the reactor a 20lb tank, selenoid and ph controller....

A doser like the jebao is about $100, the bulk chems are $400 but that can last you atleast 4-5 years.

gmann 02-17-2017 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tang daddy (Post 1008859)
I've seen your tank and while you're lightly stocked on corals unless your planning on stuffing your tank with full of sps a doser will work fine, just order the 5g pails from brs and you're good to go.

I have 2 jebao dosers and they are hassle free calibrate it and off you go.

I've also owned a vertex doser before aswell easy to set up and touch screen display is awesome but clunky size is a downside.

Also a ca reactor I think initially costs a lot, like over $1k once you factor in the reactor a 20lb tank, selenoid and ph controller....

A doser like the jebao is about $100, the bulk chems are $400 but that can last you atleast 4-5 years.

thanks for this

whatcaneyedo 02-17-2017 02:16 AM

Calcium reactors unlike skimmers and lighting haven't changed much over the past decade. So a used one will work just as well as a new one for around half the price if cost is a concern.

gmann 02-17-2017 02:24 AM

no this is my concern lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmann (Post 1008858)
I guess my issue with a CA reactor is I have some weird fear that the CO2 tank will leak or something and blow up my house (I don't know if its possible or not, but yeah paranoid lol).

maron6977 02-17-2017 02:56 AM

I wouldn't worry about the tank exploding. Worst case , it leaks , you go to sleep & not wake up . No explosion !