Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Q&A (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Scams in Buy/Sell forums (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91343)

marie 11-05-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktsalt (Post 761277)
...... I know there are great deals on CR but ppl lets not let our guards down and start sending money to a stranger! Take a step back, the deals of the centrury always pop up :biggrin:

I have sent money to complete strangers on canreef many times and called myself an idiot the whole time I did it :lol: Thankfully I have never yet been scammed out of my money (I have been scammed a few times shipping corals but that is a whole other story :sad: )

sirruckus 01-05-2014 07:22 PM

suggest the board considers using a user feedback.

check out www.thirdgen.org for an idea in the classified section. Similar to ebay, you can see positive, negative and neutral posts with a short explanation.

paddyob 01-05-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike31154 (Post 761191)
Would it be feasible to restrict new users' access to the buy/sell feature until they have been a member for a few months and/or have minimum number of posts, like 20,30 or 50? RC does this I believe & although it's still no guarantee, I reckon it would discourage at least a few of the would be scammers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by windcoast reefs (Post 761198)
I think this is a good idea, I think it would definatly reduce the number of scams.
Also give you a little more confidence in buying from new users.

This is a good idea in theory.... But think about why most people are here. It's for buy and sell.

I hated not being able to post but and sell on rc and even though I can now, I stay here because it appeared more welcoming to new members.

It's a rarity. And anytime you shop online from an unknown person, its your risk.

As Brad stated.... A single poster is buyer beware. Ànd seriously, it's crazy to wire money to somebody hoping they will ship unless its a business.

Scams will never disappear. It's a shame.

Coral Hoarder 01-05-2014 09:41 PM

Lol this is why i don't ship cuz with my luck it would get lost

Doug 01-05-2014 09:45 PM

Blah. It is what it is , IMO. Sometimes you buy stuff from other aquarists and its great equipment or frags....the next time its crap.

Same for vendors...sometimes its better than even expected....next time....well, lets just leave it at that.

All goes with the territory, again, IMO.

Madreefer 01-05-2014 10:18 PM

I only buy off of active users. I've never been ripped off yet nor received something that was junk or in not working order. I've only been ripped off by stores and both are no longer in business anymore either. Same location too. But thanks to tips on here I know where one of the guys now works:boxing:

BlueTang<3 01-05-2014 10:30 PM

Only issue I have had was with a user from Prince George :wink::wink:

I have bought and sold piles on here all over most of the problems if not all were encountered from the shipping of the product.

Dearth 01-05-2014 10:41 PM

This is and always will be an issue on any site that allows buy/sell when I was buying for my tank I only bought from people that were active and known on the site and when I sold I made damn good and sure buyer knew what they were getting into and what was expected.

Basically use common sense

Madreefer 01-05-2014 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 (Post 871360)
Only issue I have had was with a user from Prince George :wink::wink:

I have bought and sold piles on here all over most of the problems if not all were encountered from the shipping of the product.

Haha I wasn't driving the bus:lol:

hfp75 01-06-2014 06:28 AM

On another forum I'm on there is a trader rating system... It seems to work well. At least you can see if they have a positive or negative trading history!!!!! Also you can see how many trades they have done!