Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   British Columbia (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   LF: Cheap Instant Ocean Salt (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=110559)

GoFish 11-27-2014 09:18 PM

LF: Cheap Instant Ocean Salt

Looking for the large pails 160g

J+L has them for 39 which isn't bad but I think I got them cheaper last year at a store on Kingsway in Burnaby.

Any sales around?

patman 11-27-2014 09:22 PM

King Ed's will have them for $29.99 but not sure if there is currently a sale.

GoFish 11-27-2014 09:26 PM

Is 29.99 their regular price?

patman 11-27-2014 09:31 PM

That's a sale price I believe. I was there back in October and got that price. They wouldn't tell me over the phone what the price was, but said I should go there.

duncangweller 11-27-2014 09:38 PM

I have been paying $29.99 for a 160 gallon pail from King Eds for over a year I would say

duncangweller 11-27-2014 09:39 PM

I get a bucket once every two months I would say

GoFish 11-27-2014 09:55 PM

Ok good to know, thanks!
I just try and avoid going there unless there's a good reason. I received poor advice from them when starting out on several occasions...

Saving 25% is a good reason :)

TimT 11-27-2014 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vancity
Saving 25% is a good reason

Possibly, but you might wonder why you thought it was worth it if your tank gets nuked because of a bad batch. I threw IO to the curb due to quality issues a while ago(ie 14.4dKH and 1000mg/l Mg at 1.026sg, and I mixed the whole bucket at once). I've used it since the late 70's but no more.

What I find particularly silly is the vast concern with USP grade Alk and Ca when the salts used for these cheap salt mixes are going to be tech grade if that. Now stepping down from the saltbox.

GoFish 11-27-2014 10:37 PM

Choosing salt brands is a confusing subject for me. I'm switching from H2Ocean back to IO now. Thanks to H2ocean my mixing bin is caked with clay or whatever they add to it, I can't get the crap off. And it had low mag anyway so what's the point in spending a lot if I have to add stuff...
I've had high alk with IO but only in the 10.5 range. I test new buckets and randomly throughout so if something's off I just dose it. Buying anything from king Ed worries me but the buckets are sealed from the factory that makes a tonne of salt without many reports of failures (from what I've read)

I've seen advice from some very high post counts on here that use IO, up until it causes me a problem I'll prob just stick with it. I appreciate the advice though!

What do you use Tim? Honestly if there's something better and consistent I'll consider it. I'm not as cheap as the title of this states, I just figure if I'm gonna have to add stuff then I'll just get cheap reliable salt and go from there

Bblinks 11-27-2014 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimT (Post 922874)
Possibly, but you might wonder why you thought it was worth it if your tank gets nuked because of a bad batch. I threw IO to the curb due to quality issues a while ago(ie 14.4dKH and 1000mg/l Mg at 1.026sg, and I mixed the whole bucket at once). I've used it since the late 70's but no more.

What I find particularly silly is the vast concern with USP grade Alk and Ca when the salts used for these cheap salt mixes are going to be tech grade if that. Now stepping down from the saltbox.

That doesn't make sense, all the reviews and from my personal experience with io has been positive, CA 380 Alk 11-12 and Mag 1200. product variation does happen with it has the least reported with io. I still remember when reefers best had a bad batch of salt that took out a lot of the tanks and they are 100 bucks for a box...