Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   On line shopping safety (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112787)

RuGlu6 03-10-2015 01:33 AM

On line shopping safety

BRS were hacked , i just received a letter from them advising that all is OK nothing to worry about keep shopping on line its safe
but customer's name, address, tel number, email, user name and password were "involved in the incident" and may have been potentially exposed.
Oh yeah and they have sincerely apologized. THANKS BRS!
This is supposedly for all who logged in to BRS from July 30, 2014 to Jan 30, 2015.

TimT 03-10-2015 01:45 AM

You forgot the credit card info part.

RuGlu6 03-10-2015 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimT (Post 940060)
You forgot the credit card info part.

yes, thank you obviously that too.

Myka 03-10-2015 03:10 AM

I logged in between those dates, and I didn't get a letter. They don't have my credit card info stored though. Heh. I do not allow that. Plus, for online shopping, I use a credit card with only a $1000 limit. Just in case...

corpusse 03-10-2015 03:13 AM

I got the letter too, if my card is hacked I'll just get another one. Happens every few months. Target, Home depot, BRS ect. Plus random places you never hear about it.

gregzz4 03-10-2015 03:14 AM

I received the notification today via snail mail

They don't have my current CC info so all good here

lockrookie 03-10-2015 03:26 AM

I had posted about this and no one Paid attention I too got the snail mail which only makes me more ticked when a mass email would have been better for those who didn't know instead ppl find out weeks later via snail mail. Which could have delayed any possible problem.

I am glad I stopped using brs. Besides rather support canadian stores anyways

intarsiabox 03-11-2015 12:50 AM

I'm sure BRS is one of the very few companies that even tell their customers they were hacked. Your credit card company may find out but they will just cancel your card and won't give you any info about why or who was involved.

RuGlu6 03-12-2015 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 940084)
I logged in between those dates, and I didn't get a letter. They don't have my credit card info stored though. Heh. I do not allow that. Plus, for online shopping, I use a credit card with only a $1000 limit. Just in case...

How do you Not allow for a Credit Card to be stored?
Mine is only $500 for on line shopping but i'd still want to know how to protect that info in future .

intarsiabox 03-12-2015 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RuGlu6 (Post 940538)
How do you Not allow for a Credit Card to be stored?
Mine is only $500 for on line shopping but i'd still want to know how to protect that info in future .

Not paying by credit card is the only way I know of. If you pay by CC the info is in their system. I suppose not setting up a default credit card on a website gives people the impression their cc info just disappears when they log out. If you were to need a refund from these companies on your CC they don't ask you to resubmit your credit card info whether you have a default card set up with them or not. Fortunately credit card companies are getting really good at detecting false purchases and although I've had my card cancelled a few times I have never been out a dime from my own pocket.