Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Filtration and Skimmer Specific (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   recommandation or skimmer (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57517)

barthsimson 11-03-2009 03:02 AM

recommandation or skimmer

i am plannig to get a 120 gal dt in 1 or 1.5 month. my question is can you guys help me for choosing skimmer. i have a remora pro hang on system. but when i got the bigger tank i need a bigger skimmer. can you guys recommend me some good skimmer that i can just search over the internet before i buy??? thnx for your helps...

intarsiabox 11-03-2009 03:13 AM

Deltec, Vertex, Euro Reef, Tunze all have quality models that would suit your tank. A few newer companies are also getting good reviews and come at good prices such as Bubble Magus and Eshopps.

dsaundry 11-03-2009 03:14 AM

Cost will very but Bubble Kings are supposed to be one of the best, there is a knock off version called Magnus Bubble or something like that, even they get ok reviews, I think Red Sea has a nice new one as well..good luck and good hunting.

globaldesigns 11-03-2009 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intarsiabox (Post 460476)
Deltec, Vertex, Euro Reef, Tunze all have quality models that would suit your tank. A few newer companies are also getting good reviews and come at good prices such as Bubble Magus and Eshopps.

+1, I agree with the above.

If interested, I am selling a Tunze 9010, used it for only 4 months, still under warranty... I bought it for $450, JL is now selling it for $405.... I will let it go for $275.

PM me if interested... You can't go wrong with the above recommendations, those are the top rated units.

burrows14 11-03-2009 03:26 AM

check out eshopps... Im in the market for a new skimmer too and have done some research and they seem to be a decent skimmer and are very cheap(under $350). Im buying the PSM-150 for my 120gal.

cheers
Ray

globaldesigns 11-03-2009 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burrows14 (Post 460484)
check out eshopps... Im in the market for a new skimmer too and have done some research and they seem to be a decent skimmer and are very cheap(under $350). Im buying the PSM-150 for my 120gal.

cheers
Ray

If you ask others, many will say that you get what you pay for... I am one that can also say that. Buying a used top brand will always be better than a new cheaper one. Just my 2 cents.

I personally use EuroReef and Hydor in my tank, both great skimmers

burrows14 11-03-2009 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by globaldesigns (Post 460487)
If you ask others, many will say that you get what you pay for... I am one that can also say that. Buying a used top brand will always be better than a new cheaper one. Just my 2 cents.

I personally use EuroReef and Hydor in my tank, both great skimmers

I agree 100% but its hard to come by a good used skimmer lately. Plus I dont have the cash for a BK. I currently run a Euroreef but i busted the thing and now it pour bubbles in my sump so im buying a eshopps and gonna see how that goes. If i get i good X-mas bonus i might spoil myself with a BK mini lol

cheers
Ray

JohnM99 11-03-2009 04:02 AM

Check out ATB 840 v. 1.5 - $649 US at Reef Specialty or some other places - supposedly one of the very best - some like it more than the Bubble King. Look for posts by ~Mojo on RC or Reef2Reef - lots of info there. I am very close to getting one after a long time of reading and looking. (Not happy with my current AquaC180).
John

albert_dao 11-03-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnM99 (Post 460500)
Look for posts by ~Mojo on RC or Reef2Reef

There's a little more to this than a personal opinion ;)

Sometimes "impartial" reviews aren't as objective as they seem.

The Codfather 11-03-2009 08:39 PM

Take your time and get what you want, I ran a cheap skimmer for almost a year and a half. All the time looking for a good used skimmer, patience paid off and I found a used SM250 bubble king, this of course limited what i could do with my tank. But now, sky is the limit. Great skimmer, lower price.