Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Quickest way to cycle (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114473)

jazzywashbuckler 06-05-2015 11:02 PM

Quickest way to cycle

What's quickest way to cycle and what do o need. Cheers😁🐠

Doug 06-05-2015 11:14 PM

Im just cycling more Pukani for my new 90g. I used Prodibio start up last time. This time I am using Cycle. Will see how it goes. Im also running a whack of go to remove phosphates, hopefully , before going in new tank.

Wretch 06-05-2015 11:40 PM

When I started my tank I added ammonia and then bio-spira. I believe I was done in the cycle in about 10 days at the most.

FishyFishy! 06-05-2015 11:48 PM

Here's the best tip you'll hear in regards to this hobby... the word "quick" will only lead to failure. Take it slow.

The chemical additives are a good way to speed it up, but can be expensive. Spend that money on good quality test kits instead.

Cycle your tank with a raw shrimp or ammonia. Chuck it in the tank and wait for the tank to fully cycle. Read up on the cycling process and what to test for. Usually you will go through a few stages. First white stuff on the rocks, then diatoms (brown powder looking stuff) then green hair algae. When the green hair algae is thick and no ammonia is present you add clean up crew. Then when perameters are where they should be, you can add livestock.

You can also buy all live rock which will cycle your tank much faster.

Make sure you read lots about the process and what to look for and you'll be fine.

Aquattro 06-05-2015 11:59 PM

If you buy cured live rock, there is no cycle.

Doug 06-06-2015 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 953185)
If you buy cured live rock, there is no cycle.

I knew that was coming from Brad. :lol:

Aquattro 06-06-2015 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 953186)
I knew that was coming from Brad. :lol:

Well, it's true. Even using freshly shipped rock, took me a week to cure it and add to tank. Added all corals and fish right away.

But, being in a hurry is a sure way to go south real quick. Start tank in June. Post about algae problems first week of August, selling whole system by October, don't want to part out. You're gonna part it out anyway, lose tons of money on what you spent trying to build a budget tank fast.

Doug 06-06-2015 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 953189)
Well, it's true. Even using freshly shipped rock, took me a week to cure it and add to tank. Added all corals and fish right away.

But, being in a hurry is a sure way to go south real quick. Start tank in June. Post about algae problems first week of August, selling whole system by October, don't want to part out. You're gonna part it out anyway, lose tons of money on what you spent trying to build a budget tank fast.

I know your right. Just that the 2 small pieces I added last time has given me nice presents.

NU-2reef 06-06-2015 12:24 AM

Assuming the OP is using store bought live sand. Should he/ she expect a cycle?
How live is live sand really.....?

Aquattro 06-06-2015 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NU-2reef (Post 953194)
Assuming the OP is using store bought live sand. Should he/ she expect a cycle?
How live is live sand really.....?

Yes, and not very.