Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Monthly cost to run a tank (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95309)

asylumdown 03-03-2013 02:25 AM

Monthly cost to run a tank

I just finished running the power meter on all the various power bars hooked up to my tank. Here's the results:

My 8 radions are collectively drawing 8.9 kWh of power per day

The power bar that runs my return pump, skimmer, and various other powerheads draws 6.14 kWh per day

The power bar that runs my heaters, reactor pump, and a couple more powerheads is drawing 4.77 kWh per day.

In total, my tank is drawing 19.81 kWh per day, or 594.3 kWh in a 30 day month. Our last month's power bill switched rates half way through, so taking the halfway point between the two rates ($0.085/kWh), my tank is costing roughly $50/month in electricity to run.

I have to say I'm surprised by this, I thought it would be lower. I'm going to have to look in to ways to get the total draw down. I might have to consider removing two of the radions.

fishoholic 03-03-2013 02:36 AM

That's nothing my tanks cost me $250 in electricity per month. Hummmmm no wonder I'm in debt! My monthly power bill is $350, my friend who has a house similar size to mine pays $90 a month. Someone tell me why am I in this hobby again? *sigh*

asylumdown 03-03-2013 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishoholic (Post 798371)
That's nothing my tanks cost me $250 in electricity per month. Hummmmm no wonder I'm in debt! My monthly power bill is $350, my friend who has a house similar size to mine pays $90 a month. Someone tell me why am I in this hobby again? *sigh*

I am going to Print this out and put it on our fridge, so the next time I get yelled at for how much my tank costs I can point out how good of a deal we're getting!

ckmullin 03-03-2013 02:54 AM

Although tight for stock space inside, I'll keep my 6 gal nano. :)

The Grizz 03-03-2013 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishoholic (Post 798371)

I wish my power bill was this small. My tank are the least of my power issues when you consider there is 4 adults & a baby living in one house with 2 full kitchens, a heated indoor pool and my shop which run alot of 220v.

All though I am going all LED & dc pumps on the new build, most power consumption will be the chillers.

fishoholic 03-03-2013 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grizz (Post 798376)
I wish my power bill was this small. My tank are the least of my power issues when you consider there is 4 adults & a baby living in one house with 2 full kitchens, a heated indoor pool and my shop which run alot of 220v.

Ya but its pretty sad considering its a regular sized house in the city with just 2 people living in it.

fishoholic 03-03-2013 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asylumdown (Post 798372)
I am going to Print this out and put it on our fridge, so the next time I get yelled at for how much my tank costs I can point out how good of a deal we're getting!

Not sure if I should laugh or cry :lol: :cry:

Oilers 03-03-2013 03:25 AM

I just looked at my Epcor bill for this month and it says $140 for electricity even though only $90 is for the electricity, the rest is BS fees. I wonder what the bill was like before the tanks.

Goatman 03-03-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers (Post 798385)
I just looked at my Epcor bill for this month and it says $140 for electricity even though only $90 is for the electricity, the rest is BS fees. I wonder what the bill was like before the tanks.

Ask them to send you copies for your personal records....they have to.

lockrookie 03-03-2013 12:20 PM

Yes but they can charge you a fee to dig up records too