Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Euro-Reef Skimmer reviews needed (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37229)

Josh23 11-23-2007 12:33 AM

Euro-Reef Skimmer reviews needed

I'm considering a euro reef skimmer for my 80 gallon tank - does anyone have any experience with these?

Do they work well
Easy to use and set

Should I be considering something different in the same price range?

thanks for your thoughts.

Josh

Chaloupa 11-23-2007 12:40 AM

I have a Euro-reef 180 on one of my tanks, and on one of the others I have an H&S.....I prefer the Euro-reef hands down over the H&S. It's easier to clean, use etc etc....one of my favorites that's for sure! I'd love to have the space to put one on my 65g too but I just don't.

Coderad 11-23-2007 12:44 AM

I bought mine 8 months ago it works great. The Breakin period took like 3 weeks but after that was finished, I have to empty the thick sludge once a week. It is easy to clean and easy to adjust. Hope this helps.
I think mine is the RS80 I have it one my 32gal.

BC564 11-23-2007 12:47 AM

I also have the RS80 and I'm very happy with it.

I got mine on Ebay for $189.00 US.....which right now is even better.

Took about a week to get here...roughly

kwirky 11-23-2007 12:49 AM

I had an RS135. My only skimmer experience otherwise is my new aqua-c remora HOB skimmer which is very different. I liked the euro-reef skimmer a lot. It pulled a lot of junk out of the water consistently.

Aquattro 11-23-2007 02:21 AM

Agreed, mine was great.

trilinearmipmap 11-23-2007 02:22 AM

I have had a CS-6-2+ for years and I will not buy a Euro-Reef again.

The good points are: it does a fairly decent job of skimming. The collection cup is easy to detach for skimming.

The bad points are:

1. The pump is noisy. Euro-Reef could have spent a bit more money and used Eheim pumps, they didn't.

2. The riser pipe becomes impossible to adjust after a while. You need to make a gate valve mod or the skimmer will not be adjustable. It is a hassle and expense to get the parts and build a gate valve mod. Euro-Reef could have included the gate valve on the output for about $10.00 more but they chose not to.

3. The customer service attitude is the worst. My skimmer shipped without an O-ring between the collection cup and the neck of the skimmer. I didn't notice this for the first couple of months because the union fit snug if I tightened it enough, and their instructions did not mention any O-ring. Later when I found out I was missing the O-ring I asked Euro-Reef to send me one and thre treated me as if I were a criminal trying to scam them. Fortunately J & L came through and sent me a free O-ring.

For the above reasons, but mostly reason #3, I won't buy any more Euro-Reef products.

From all the skimmer reviews I have read, I would chose ASM if cost was a factor, Barr Aquatics/Austin Oceans if quality was the main factor.

Zylumn 11-23-2007 02:44 AM

I have owned an
- Aqua-medic
- prism
- Asm
- Deltec

I own a ER CR 6-3 and a ER 5-3 and when I purchase a new skimmer it will be a Euro-Reef. I agree that my 6 year old ER 5-3's pump makes a small noise, but it works perfect. When I want to upgrade that skimmer that is on my 33g reef I will buy a eheim pump as nothing else is needed. They are super easy to clean and setup and since I don't have much height in my sump area it is nice not to need space above the cup to take out and clean.
Kevin

SeaHorse_Fanatic 11-23-2007 03:22 AM

I have a ER RS250 on my heavily stocked 210g mixed reef & it does a great job. Fills up my collection cup with super thick foam and smelly sludge (1/4 of the cup in one day). Couldn't be happier.

Have an ASM G4+ on my 120g fowlr with 90g seahorse/frag/sump tank and it does a decent job.

i have crabs 11-23-2007 03:26 AM

i just bought 2 rs250's and im impressed with quality but a little annoyed with the air valve plugging almost all the time, i havnt really tryed to do anything about the problem except clean the stupid things out all the time