Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Controller and Monitoring Specific (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   APEX set-up (wifi etc.) Questions...? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73473)

cale262 03-07-2011 06:51 PM

APEX set-up (wifi etc.) Questions...?

I've just ordered an APEX controller....quick question, does it come with the pc connection cable (nec cable?) or is that an item I’d have to order separately?

TIA

xtreme 03-07-2011 07:50 PM

All you need is an ethernet cable and you can program almost everything through the web based browser.

cwatkins 03-07-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cale262 (Post 596768)
I've just ordered and APEX controller....quick question, does it come with the pc connection cable (nec cable?) or is that an item I’d have to order separately?

TIA

It's a networked device, so you don't use a PC connection cable per-se.

You plug it into your switch using a CAT-5 network cable, and then connect to it using your web-browser.

If you cannot run a network cable to it, look into getting the "Linksys Wifi gaming adapter". Essentially this can add Wi-Fi support to your Apex controller so it can use your wireless network.

Here is a very good un-official user guide which will help you with all the setup: http://reeftech.webs.com/

trilinearmipmap 03-07-2011 08:03 PM

You can hook it up using a gaming adaptor and a wireless router. However to update the firmware you will still need a wired connection. If there is a long distance between your computer and your controller, you can get a 100 foot long ethernet cable from the dollar store for about $15.00

cale262 03-07-2011 08:32 PM

Thanx all,

I have lots of ethernet cable, I just notice in the APEX parts listing that there was a PC interface cable...but now that I've looked closer it is a "serial" cable...I wasn't sure if I needed that or not...not apparently.

On another note, with my RKE I'm using a Mac wi-fi Airport Express, I'm assuming I can use one of these also...If not I have a couple lynksys wireles routers if need be...or would the gaming adapter be easier?

fencer 03-07-2011 08:33 PM

wireless bridge adapter...gaming adaptors cost more

Milad 03-07-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cale262 (Post 596789)
Thanx all,

I have lots of ethernet cable, I just notice in the APEX parts listing that there was a PC interface cable...but now that I've looked closer it is a "serial" cable...I wasn't sure if I needed that or not...not apparently.

On another note, with my RKE I'm using a Mac wi-fi Airport Express, I'm assuming I can use one of these also...If not I have a couple lynksys wireles routers if need be...or would the gaming adapter be easier?

Airport express is junk, but it will work.

Welcome to the Apex club, probably the best thing you will ever purchase. Make sure you grab the iphone app for it so you can impress the ladies you can control your aquarium with your phone. Just don't pull it out at parties when you had to many drinks, it can turn bad.... "Look everyone, I can drain my fish tank with one single button"

cale262 03-07-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milad (Post 596793)
Airport express is junk,...

I've never had a problem with any of them to date (stereo, home theatre, base station, RKE etc.) Can you elaborate or, Do you have a better option in mind?

I have to go out and buy another of something anyway as all mine are currently in use.

TIA

viperfish 03-07-2011 10:47 PM

I was using a 2Wire unit from Telus and spent hours trying to get it working with the Apex with no luck. I then picked up a Thomson Speedtouch 516 and a Linksys WRT54G and had it running in minutes! You can find lots of them on Kijiji for cheap.

Milad 03-07-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cale262 (Post 596804)
I've never had a problem with any of them to date (stereo, home theatre, base station, RKE etc.) Can you elaborate or, Do you have a better option in mind?

I have to go out and buy another of something anyway as all mine are currently in use.

TIA

They are just junk, you cant do anything with them, they are clumsy. They have alot of overhead and very little functionality. I about killed mine when I was trying to hook it up via WDS with the other routers. Linksys is the way to go, easy and you can DD-WRT almost all of them. DD-WRT opens up your router to do things you wish your current router could do and it will do them quickly and easily and its fast.

Also the one I have only has one Ethernet port, WTF is that?!