Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   White styrofoam or pink insulation (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=98795)

evan1017 06-27-2013 04:49 AM

White styrofoam or pink insulation

Hi, can anyone give me some advices? Should I put a white styrofoam or pink insulation in between the tank and the stand?

gregzz4 06-27-2013 04:56 AM

Pink styro insulation has a fairly high compression resistance

Without searching the web to back up my thoughts, I'll say they are not made of the same material

The kind of white styro I'm thinking of will be flatter than a sheet of paper and fall apart when you put a tank on it so, go with the pink stuff :wink:

fishytime 06-27-2013 05:04 AM

pink fersure

Madreefer 06-27-2013 05:17 AM

Yea go for the pink.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I remember reading an article quite a few years back about its some sort of added support in regards to the bottom pane of glass cracking. Something about flex in the glass or something. I dunno. Just throwin that out there.

ScubaSteve 06-27-2013 05:19 AM

The pink over the styrofoam for sure. For my most recent tanks I have been using The black closed cell foam used for camping/hiking mats. It's quite dense, and so doesn't compress much, and it thinner and doesn't show like a bright pink foam does. I got it from the Foam Shop.

evan1017 06-27-2013 05:24 AM

Thank you guys!! Should I get the 1" or 1/2"? I'm setting up a 135gal

SeaHorse_Fanatic 06-27-2013 05:28 AM

Rona sells blue sheets (way nicer but a little more $$) than PINK!!! :lol:

Madreefer 06-27-2013 05:33 AM

Why is there a need to put this under your tank anyways? If your stand is totally level and there is no imperfections you probably don't need it anyways. I've had several different tanks and haven't put anything underneath. But all were store bought with matching stands to fit. My basement sump is on a crappy homemade stand being held up with building block bricks and I put the thin camping mat under it with no problems as of yet

evan1017 06-27-2013 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madreefer (Post 828579)
Why is there a need to put this under your tank anyways? If your stand is totally level and there is no imperfections you probably don't need it anyways. I've had several different tanks and haven't put anything underneath. But all were store bought with matching stands to fit. My basement sump is on a crappy homemade stand being held up with building block bricks and I put the thin camping mat under it with no problems as of yet

I am building a stand with 2 x 4 and a piece of plywood on top.

ScubaSteve 06-27-2013 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madreefer (Post 828579)

I agree. I think it's more of a safety precaution to avoid stress points. That's why I went with the camping may as well.