Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   We need to move but we dont know where to go. (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50732)

whatcaneyedo 03-18-2009 10:45 PM

We need to move but we dont know where to go.

My girlfriend and I are struggling to find work in Prince George. This city is a big mill town thats been in recession for the past 3 years. She will be finished school as a Registered Nurse this spring. I'll be a 3rd year apprentice carpenter with a Bachelors of Commerce Degree. We would like to move but dont know where to move to. We dont like large cities with unaffordable housing and congestion. She likes to hunt and fish, I like to SCUBA dive and snowboard so it would be great if we could find a place that allowed us to do all of these things. Any recommendations?

Skimmerking 03-18-2009 10:48 PM

Manitoba is screaming for nurses and carpenter's just to let you know man... like the city of brandon

marie 03-18-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo (Post 400852)
My girlfriend and I are struggling to find work in Prince George. This city is a big mill town thats been in recession for the past 3 years. She will be finished school as a Registered Nurse this spring. I'll be a 3rd year apprentice carpenter with a Bachelors of Commerce Degree. We would like to move but dont know where to move to. We dont like large cities with unaffordable housing and congestion. She likes to hunt and fish, I like to SCUBA dive and snowboard so it would be great if we could find a place that allowed us to do all of these things. Any recommendations?

If you want hunting, fishing, scuba diving and snowboarding you might check out Vancouver Island. It offers all of the above

dkcrx 03-18-2009 11:08 PM

Look into Squamish, local Scuba, fishing, Hunting, Snowboard/Sking, hikeing, name it + has that small town charm.

Chaloupa 03-19-2009 12:06 AM

Vancouver Island is very nice (Campbell River is where I am and all the below is based on my city)...all the things you want very close to your home and a new house 1300 sq feet, with garage in a nice new neighbourhood would run you around $215,000.00+.

In C.R. it would be 20 min to diving over on Quadra Island, 25 min to Mt Washington, 20 min to a nice lake to swim and waterski, 30 min to a great place to camp and fish, hunting is just a short drive and there are all the good things about a small city here....plus we have reef shops within 1.5 hours.....and a couple shops in town with basic necessities for your tank.

We aren't booming as well right now with the mill shut down and commercial fishing and logging hitting rock bottom...however we are a city that in the end I believe will survive on small businesses.... Of course we have a hospital etc etc

hockey nut 03-19-2009 12:54 AM

The Kootenys are great. ie Nelson and area. Has all that you have mentioned plus more.

I used to live in Prince and still have family up there. Great city.

Good luck.

Treebeard 03-19-2009 01:35 AM

All those BC locations mentioned are great for recreation but if you want job it's a no brainer. Move to Calgary and holiday in all those BC places! :biggrin:

Cameron 03-19-2009 01:39 AM

Duncan....great scuba diving here, Island Pet Zone...sme prices as JL OA etc. Close to victoria and Vancovuer

mik 03-19-2009 01:46 AM

look up sylvan lake there is diving in the lake too. I am also a carpenter and i have lots of work around red deer.

freddy 03-19-2009 02:05 AM

Creston bc in the kootneys,no better place to be,always looking for rn's.