Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Calgary (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Barnacle blenny questions (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106170)

Drfu 04-02-2014 08:59 PM

Barnacle blenny questions

Does anyone first know if any of our lfs carry these guys, they sound quite interesting?

Do they like to be kept as a single, or do they prefer to be in pairs or more. They will be my only fish in my 8g besides some inverts. I do have a deep sand bed and live rock with hiding places for them?

Starry 04-02-2014 09:09 PM

cool little fish. I have 2 in a nano cube. lightning fast at feeding time, but usually all you see is thier little heads poking out of thier hole.

BuschWacker 04-02-2014 10:34 PM

I had one in my IM nuvo 8. It was a great addition to the tank. I think I got it at picses. Very quick, and fun to watch. Unfortunately he still managed to find his way to the carpet one day, even with the lid on. I would love to find another.

Karsten 04-02-2014 10:41 PM

You can keep them single or in groups. you can get a rock with holes that they love. Pisces used to get them a lot. $40 each. They take up almost no room

Drfu 04-03-2014 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuschWacker (Post 890009)
I had one in my IM nuvo 8. It was a great addition to the tank. I think I got it at picses. Very quick, and fun to watch. Unfortunately he still managed to find his way to the carpet one day, even with the lid on. I would love to find another.

I asked them and they say they are hard to get, they have not had them for awhile. Did you buy a barnacle for them or did they just find a hole in your live rock?

Drfu 04-03-2014 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karsten (Post 890010)
You can keep them single or in groups. you can get a rock with holes that they love. Pisces used to get them a lot. $40 each. They take up almost no room

Wow, $40 a pop, not cheap....but then nothing is in this hobby I'm finding!
So three in a 8 gallon should be no prob then? No go at pisces, anywhere else?

Karsten 04-03-2014 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drfu (Post 890064)
Wow, $40 a pop, not cheap....but then nothing is in this hobby I'm finding!
So three in a 8 gallon should be no prob then? No go at pisces, anywhere else?

I think three is no problem in an 8 gallon. they are so small. They really like to hide too (shells, holes, barnacles ect.) Ocean Creation would be your second best bet. They are my favorite fish for nano tanks. Last option would be to order it from each store

Drfu 04-03-2014 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karsten (Post 890113)
I think three is no problem in an 8 gallon. they are so small. They really like to hide too (shells, holes, barnacles ect.) Ocean Creation would be your second best bet. They are my favorite fish for nano tanks. Last option would be to order it from each store

Thanks for the info & option, their prices seem better there imo