Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   FOWLR (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   New to RO/DI water use (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59592)

salty210 01-05-2010 04:12 AM

New to RO/DI water use

I have a 210 gal FOWLR that has been running for over a year now. I finaly got tired of the all day water change. You know 8 hours making water with one of those tap water filters and a 40 gallon big brute trash bin.
I am lucky enough to have a spot, somewhat close to water, a drain, and the tank, that I could build a water prep area. And with a flick of a switch, my water change is done. Well, its not quite that easy ,but it has saved me hours of watching water flow, and the occasional wet floor.
So what I need to know, are there any additives I should be adding to my new ro/di water?
I use IO salt and I know that it is a little low in ca and mg, probably why I'm not getting good coraline growth. I,d like to pay more attention to those levels also. What should I use? Liquid or a powder buffer and what kind.
Thanks.

mark 01-05-2010 04:29 AM

I'm using bulk Ca and Mg from littlesilvermax to supplement my IO.

hillegom 01-05-2010 04:30 AM

Both BRS and Littlesilvermax sell bulk powdered ca and mg. They are sponsers here
Otherwise , a calcium reactor with a bottle of CO2

mark 01-05-2010 04:48 AM

Found trying to use a reactor to bring up levels was just spiking the alk. Once I clued in to supplement the ca/mg first, then maintain with a reactor things settled down.

FOWLR, I'd probably skip the cost of a reactor as will find things fairly steady with water changes only and can always tweak with a bit of the bulk chemicals if needed.

rocco134 01-07-2010 01:09 AM

I am also new to RO/DI use. I just got my unit today. I have a quick question. Sorry to leach of your leach of your post salty.

Is the efficiency of the unit (waste: product) temperature sensitive (i.e higher water temp = less waste)? my unit is rated at 50gpd but i know that is based on ideal conditions (60psi and 77'F).

Myka 01-07-2010 01:15 AM

Rocco, the efficiency of the system won't be effected by the inline temperature, but the GPD rating will be.

Salty, what's the reasoning behind supplementing on a FOWLR? Just coralline growth or other reasons as well?

rocco134 01-07-2010 01:25 AM

Thanks Myka... thats what i meant:biggrin:

so hoe does temp actually affect gpd

Myka 01-07-2010 01:29 AM

Not sure, but it does! :D

salty210 01-07-2010 01:41 AM

Hi Myka, I am getting ready to switch to a reef tank, so I would like to know a little more about calcium and other supplements I will be needing.

BWI 01-07-2010 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocco134 (Post 478971)
I am also new to RO/DI use. I just got my unit today. I have a quick question. Sorry to leach of your leach of your post salty.

Is the efficiency of the unit (waste: product) temperature sensitive (i.e higher water temp = less waste)? my unit is rated at 50gpd but i know that is based on ideal conditions (60psi and 77'F).

there is a easy way to improve efficiency, u can add a another membrane and produce double what your making and still use the original waste water amount. understand?

as for adding chems, i am using the GHL profilux doser with the balling salts. I have no problem with calcium its just keeping up with mag, and alk..