Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Ponds & Koi (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   my Zen Water Garden and Koi Pond (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=76822)

lastlight 05-09-2013 03:16 PM

lookin' good hombre.

Oilers 05-09-2013 03:20 PM

Kien,
Your pond is looking better and better each year. I am just wondering what the use of the cardboard is.

kien 05-09-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers (Post 817412)
Kien,
Your pond is looking better and better each year. I am just wondering what the use of the cardboard is.

Thanks! For additional cushioning to help keep sharp objects like rocks and twigs from poking at the pond liner. It's a bit overkill but I had LOTS of cardboard boxes around and it worked out quite well. A lot cheaper than buying actual pond liner fabric. I have also previously used a generous layer of newspapers and have also seen old carpet or carpet underlayment used.

Oilers 05-09-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 817413)
Thanks! For additional cushioning to help keep sharp objects like rocks and twigs from poking at the pond liner. It's a bit overkill but I had LOTS of cardboard boxes around and it worked out quite well. A lot cheaper than buying actual pond liner fabric. I have also previously used a generous layer of newspapers and have also seen old carpet or carpet underlayment used.

Thanks for the info. Your pond and Dez's are my inspiration of getting a pond myself. I will probably have tons of questions for you when I do have the courage and $$$ to get it started if you don't mind.

kien 05-09-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers (Post 817415)
Thanks for the info. Your pond and Dez's are my inspiration of getting a pond myself. I will probably have tons of questions for you when I do have the courage and $$$ to get it started if you don't mind.

Don't mind at all. It's not as expensive as you might think. Well, I suppose it depends how big you want to make your pond. My 300 square foot pond liner was only like $250. Probably the bulk of your cost is going to be landscaping materials like rocks or whatever you choose to landscape your pond with. But also, you can still enjoy your pond while your slowly landscape the around it :-)

Oilers 05-09-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 817417)
Don't mind at all. It's not as expensive as you might think. Well, I suppose it depends how big you want to make your pond. My 300 square foot pond liner was only like $250. Probably the bulk of your cost is going to be landscaping materials like rocks or whatever you choose to landscape your pond with. But also, you can still enjoy your pond while your slowly landscape the around it :-)

Yeah, I have nothing in term of rocks or landscaping. I don't even have a fence yet :redface: If I get everything done, it's probably in the 10K plus. Yikes!

kien 05-09-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers (Post 817418)
Yeah, I have nothing in term of rocks or landscaping. I don't even have a fence yet :redface: If I get everything done, it's probably in the 10K plus. Yikes!

Well then, I suggest you work on the fence first maybe :-) I take it you have a new house? If so, ya, you have an uphill battle with landscaping ahead of you! Been there, done that..

Oilers 05-09-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 817430)
Well then, I suggest you work on the fence first maybe :-) I take it you have a new house? If so, ya, you have an uphill battle with landscaping ahead of you! Been there, done that..

Maybe this is a stupid question but would it be wiser to put the fence (with a gate) in later so it's easier to move things in (rocks, tree, etc).
My house is newish. I have a lawn, fence on one side but not the other.

Seriak 05-09-2013 04:56 PM

Hey Kien,

How do you overwinter your plants and where did you buy the liner from?

kien 05-09-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers (Post 817433)
Maybe this is a stupid question but would it be wiser to put the fence (with a gate) in later so it's easier to move things in (rocks, tree, etc).
My house is newish. I have a lawn, fence on one side but not the other.

Well, I'm not a landscaper and don't know what your yard is like, but it probably wouldn't be a good idea to put a gate into your face if it shares the fence with a neighbour. The new neighbour might not like that. I know I wouldn't. If you have a back lane then I would definitely put a gate there. I suspect you will have a gate to access the back yard from the front yard?

For me I have two gates to access my back yard from the front yard. This is handy for hauling stuff from the front to the back yard If you don't have a back lane typically landscape companies like Burnco will drop off your stuff on your front driveway where you'll have to haul it to the back yard.