Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Filtration and Skimmer Specific (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   Skimmer pump stops and restarts constantly (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=109489)

ColinD 09-27-2014 04:54 PM

Skimmer pump stops and restarts constantly

So I have a BM NAC5e skimmer, replaced the stock pump with the 'Rock (SP2000) pump' last year, ran great for a couple months and then started to constantly turn off and restart (seemed like every 10 minutes or so). Ran very hot as well, pump housing eventually started to crack and leak so I pulled the skimmer and ran skimmerless for a few months. Decided last month to order another pump and start up the skimmer again, guess what? Its doing the exact same thing, am I doing something wrong? Skimmer runs longer between turning off and restarting 90 minutes or so. Is it possible I got another bad pump?

There's no siphon break or anything like that, skims great when its running.

Colin

The Guy 09-27-2014 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColinD (Post 914855)
So I have a BM NAC5e skimmer, replaced the stock pump with the 'Rock (SP2000) pump' last year, ran great for a couple months and then started to constantly turn off and restart (seemed like every 10 minutes or so). Ran very hot as well, pump housing eventually started to crack and leak so I pulled the skimmer and ran skimmerless for a few months. Decided last month to order another pump and start up the skimmer again, guess what? Its doing the exact same thing, am I doing something wrong? Skimmer runs longer between turning off and restarting 90 minutes or so. Is it possible I got another bad pump?

There's no siphon break or anything like that, skims great when its running.

Colin

Did you change out the pinwheel impeller as well, if not it may the problem or you possibly just got a another bad motor, but unlikely. :neutral:

ColinD 09-27-2014 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Guy (Post 914856)
Did you change out the pinwheel impeller as well, if not it may the problem or you possibly just got a another bad motor, but unlikely. :neutral:

New pump came with a new impeller, might put the old one in just to see.

Colin

eli@fijireefrock.com 09-27-2014 05:37 PM

If the problem is happening after couple of month running...very possible calcium deposit on the inside of the pump...take the pump to a bucked of water and vinegar run it for 15 minutes then wash and try

matt_C 09-27-2014 05:52 PM

Maybe you have stray current in the tank. Maybe a grounding probe.

Only thing we can do its make suggestions.

ColinD 09-27-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eli@fijireefrock.com (Post 914864)
If the problem is happening after couple of month running...very possible calcium deposit on the inside of the pump...take the pump to a bucked of water and vinegar run it for 15 minutes then wash and try

I've only been running the skimmer since last Tuesday (after I got back from vacation) Prior to leaving on vacation I ran it in a bucket of water with vinegar to clean any impurities from it.

Curious Matt, how would stray voltage effect the pump, it is external or am I missing something? I have noticed a few corals not doing so well the last few days, zoas not opening and some STN in a few acros. Only other thing I've done to the tank recently is switched out a Maxi jet powerhead for a korillia that I had sitting around

Colin

matt_C 09-27-2014 09:34 PM

Water connects voltages.

Do you get shocked at all when you stick your hand in the water?

Had a hang on the back skimmer that had the same problem.
Put a grounding probe on and went away.

Turns out to be an old korillia pump i had.

ColinD 09-27-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt@concept (Post 914886)
Water connects voltages.

Do you get shocked at all when you stick your hand in the water?

Had a hang on the back skimmer that had the same problem.
Put a grounding probe on and went away.

Turns out to be an old korillia pump i had.

Hmmm, Do you guys have grounding probes in stock?

Dearth 09-27-2014 10:51 PM

Could be completely off base here but could it possibly have anything to do with water depth could be working too hard?

intarsiabox 09-27-2014 11:04 PM

Does the motor feel hot right after it shuts itself off?