Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Using kalkwasser (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96148)

fireguy98 03-26-2013 10:44 PM

Using kalkwasser

I'm about to start running kalk for the first time and I'm looking for any useful input anyone might have. I can run it in my ato or I do have a dosing pump that I was going to set up to run cal alk and mg but kalkwasser I think is a better solution for me right now. Only issue I have with running it from my ato is the tank doesn't evap the same amount of water on a daily basis. So should I run my mix through my doseing pump small amounts through out the day?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Aquattro 03-26-2013 10:47 PM

I always just added it to my make up water. Worked fine for years.

Aquattro 03-26-2013 10:58 PM

Further, since the kalk is mixed with fresh water, you don't want to add more than you evaporate, as that could lead to a long term shift in salinity

fireguy98 03-26-2013 11:10 PM

Okay sounds good. Ato it is

Myka 03-27-2013 02:16 AM

What speed is your dosing pump? I use dosing pumps just for calcium and alkalinity. Magnesium is easily supplemented by adding a bit extra to weekly waterchange water.

I just started dosing limewater on my SPS tank. I haven't used it for years, but it is great stuff. I don't like adding it to top off water because top off volume varies from one week to the next which means limewater dosing will vary. I prefer to use a doser.

I'm using a Drew's Doser that runs 1.6 mL per minute which means the maximum it can dose in 24 hours is 2300 mL. So that limits things. Saturated limewater is 2 tsp per 1 gallon of RODI water. If you add 45 mL vinegar you can increase that to 3 tsp per 1 gallon of RODI water. Although vinegar is something that should be added in slowly increasing increments and monitored closely as vinegar is a carbon source so you can get excessive bacteria growth (which can deplete tank of oxygen).

So, there are a few options for you to consider. Also, if you're going to dose limewater I would suggest you monitor pH with a digital pH meter (not drop tests) since limewater has the ability to raise pH drastically and lethally.

fireguy98 03-27-2013 03:03 AM

I have a bubblemagnus doser. How many millaliters do you dose a day.

Myka 03-27-2013 03:12 AM

I just started it up on this tank a couple days ago. I'm dosing 1.6 mL per minute for 6 hours per day which is about 575 mL right now which replaces about 1/8th of my dosing. In a few days or a week I will double this, and eventually work up to dosing it 24 hours per day (2300 mL). Then I will start adding vinegar and increasing the amount of lime. I like to make changes slowly. Of course I have to monitor pH to make sure I am able to dose this much without increasing pH too much.

Oh, I forgot to elaborate above that adding vinegar, with it being a carbon source, will help to lower nitrate and phosphate.

PurpleMonkey 03-27-2013 03:12 AM

I use a gravity powered drip of saturated Kalk solution. Super easy to setup, maintain and cheap.

Aquattro 03-27-2013 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleMonkey (Post 806149)
I use a gravity powered drip of saturated Kalk solution. Super easy to setup, maintain and cheap.

Pretty much what I used for top off. No math involved :)

Myka 03-27-2013 04:06 AM

I tried the gravity drip method years ago and the hose always got plugged. I had one of those Kent Aqua Dosers. You guys don't have that problem?