Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   garden lights low voltage or solar what's your opinion (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15769)

chwkreefer 04-22-2005 02:28 AM

garden lights low voltage or solar what's your opinion

I want to get some garden lights but I am not sure which way to go. I like the idea of the solar, but from what I understand they aren't nearly as bright as the low voltage garden lights. I'm hoping some of you have some experience with these products and can offer some good advice as to what to buy.

Obviously there is an ongoing cost in buying low voltage, but I don't want to get solar if that lighting is like looking at a flashlight with low batteries.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Bill

Willow 04-22-2005 04:04 AM

i have solar lights in my garden and they are pretty week, they only last a few hours, in the summer they are done before 11pm. personally i like them kinda dim as they just outline a part of my driveway. my neighbor bought these insane solar ones from xs cargo and instead of slowly dimming out they blink. he has about 20 of them, it kinda looks like his lawn is sending me morse code messages in the middle of the night. in the winter they hardly ever come on. they also need to be in an area that gets a pretty fair amount of light for them to recharge or they wont work.

chwkreefer 04-22-2005 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willow
i have solar lights in my garden and they are pretty week, they only last a few hours, in the summer they are done before 11pm. personally i like them kinda dim as they just outline a part of my driveway. my neighbor bought these insane solar ones from xs cargo and instead of slowly dimming out they blink. he has about 20 of them, it kinda looks like his lawn is sending me morse code messages in the middle of the night. in the winter they hardly ever come on. they also need to be in an area that gets a pretty fair amount of light for them to recharge or they wont work.

My house and yard doesn't get a lot of full sun for about 6 months of the year as we are in the shadow of Mount Cheam. So based on what you have told me it looks like low voltage is a better way to go in my case. What color light does your solars give off? Is it the bluish white or the yellow white?

StirCrazy 04-22-2005 05:00 AM

I have 15 solar, if I did it again I would go low voltage.

Steve

UnderWorldAquatics 04-22-2005 05:19 AM

IMHO solar light that are affordable SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go low voltage :mrgreen:

chwkreefer 04-22-2005 05:35 AM

Low Voltage Lighting is shall be. Thanks for the replies. If anyone has some recommendations about low voltage lighting, I would appreciate it.

Rikko 04-24-2005 10:48 PM

We have a solar set up beside our pond.. It's like a star went supernova, it's that blinding!!!

Ok, well, you can notice it when it's a new moon and it's overcast and the neighbours' floodlights are off.

AJ_77 04-26-2005 02:17 AM

I didn't even SEE any low-voltage at the home store the other day...

OTOH, there was a pile of new solar stuff made by Intermatic. Good enough to try out? Guess we'll wait and see.
Low voltage just seems like such a PITA to set up.