Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Adding acid dipped rock back to established DT (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124207)

vanreefer 09-04-2017 11:59 PM

Adding acid dipped rock back to established DT

Hi
Looking for advice... Need to do a muriatic acid dip to deal with aptasia in my DT. I have lots of other rock and siporax for bio filtration so not worried about that my question is... Post acid dip; is an rinse or overnight soak in RO adequate to safely add the rock back to an established system. Can't think of any reason I would need to do anything else... But want to know your thought.
Thanks
VR

vanreefer 09-05-2017 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanreefer (Post 1017884)
Hi
Looking for advice... Need to do a muriatic acid dip to deal with aptasia in my DT. I have lots of other rock and siporax for bio filtration so not worried about that my question is... Post acid dip; is an rinse or overnight soak in RO adequate to safely add the rock back to an established system. Can't think of any reason I would need to do anything else... But want to know your thought.
Thanks
VR

The above is only for the aptasia I don't have a phosphate problem...the dip will likely only be 10-15mins... Just long enough to to kill those little buggers.

iceman86 09-05-2017 06:27 PM

I've done it before without any issues. It completely wipes out everything on that rock and makes it nice and clean. I just give it a good rinse and set it out to dry for a few hours. You can always add baking soda to the water after its done bubbling to neutralize the acid if that makes you more comfortable with the idea.

It's my favorite way to clean rock. I was once given a couple hundred pounds of algae and pest infested rock because the guy just didn't want to deal with it anymore. I brought it all home, put it in a bin with water and acid. 20 minutes later they were spotless. I didn't even get a phosphate reading after the acid wash.

You can even do a couple washes if you'd like. It just eats away at the outer surface of the rock but it's very minor that you won't even notice. Just remember to add the acid to the water not the other way around. Do it outdoor and wear rubber gloves and respiratory protection if you can.

Moogled 09-05-2017 07:30 PM

What's the ratio of acid to water that you would normally use for something like this?

iceman86 09-05-2017 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moogled (Post 1017914)
What's the ratio of acid to water that you would normally use for something like this?

1:10 is common. Some people do more concentrated but I don't see the need. The rocks are spotless after 20 min. I do 2 baths if I'm trying to rid it of phosphates but 1 bath probably is enough though.

smokinreefer 09-08-2017 03:22 AM

Kind of on topic...
Do you need a special reservoir to do acid bath?
Can I just use a Rubbermaid garbage can?

Thanks!

duncangweller 09-08-2017 04:22 AM

I've always just used a Rubbermaid container

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

WarDog 09-08-2017 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinreefer (Post 1018079)
Can I just use a Rubbermaid garbage can?

Yes.

Please take care using acid and have a box or two of arm and hammer baking soda on hand to neutralize the acid, or apply directly to skin in case of a burn. Don't forget gloves and Eyewear.

1 part acid to 10 parts water. Add the acid to the water... NOT WATER TO ACID!!!!

smokinreefer 09-08-2017 02:47 PM

Thanks for the tips.

Where can one purchase the acid?

I've got a Rubbermaid full of old dried up rock I'd like to resuse.

WarDog 09-08-2017 04:02 PM

Canadian Tire. In the pool section.