Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   lastlight's 404 (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71462)

lastlight 02-09-2011 07:15 PM

Thanks yeah I have the best view in the house lol. If this tank is anything like my current one the end view will be my fav.

I had considered an elevated office area so I look straight into the tank but I don't want to make the room any less flexible than it already is. Plus I don;t really want to make a hollow sound as I wheel my office chair on a platform :lol:

mseepman 02-09-2011 07:40 PM

So if I get this right, you will be able to see in the front and both ends while the equipment goes behind?

lastlight 02-09-2011 08:16 PM

No the front and office end are the viewable sides. Sump will be directly under my overflow...area behind the back of the tank is open with a raised platform for access to back of tank. Since I laid this model out the tank has been moved 1 foot closer to the desk and the corridor behind the tank has been narrowed from 2 feet to about 18 inches.

http://www.fishbrains.net/images/404/sketchup5.gif

trinac 02-09-2011 09:31 PM

Whats the software you used to design the room?

lorenz0 02-09-2011 10:05 PM

So are you going to get your open water certification in that thing lol

lastlight 02-09-2011 11:11 PM

Trina that's made in google sketchup. It's free and if you've never done any 3d before pretty easy to sort out. It's not really that great ompared to the software I have experience with so sometimes I get a little ****y at it lol.

I'd love to get my dive certification anywhere really! This cat's only ever been snorkelling unfortunately.

andestang 02-10-2011 07:15 AM

Just wondering why you have the door to the room for the access behind the tank where it is instead of parallel with the tank - for storage ? I would have the door /wall where the jam is closest to the tank side for a more open look - JMO(which I'm told doesn't mean much). Also you didn't answer my ? when are they coming to put the bracing on dammit ? :lol:

lastlight 02-10-2011 02:40 PM

That door will actually be as close to the left wall (stairs) as possible to maximize space along the wall the door is on. If you walk in the room the sump will be directly below the external overflow (on the end of the tank) and my skimmer and frag tank will be on the door wall as well. The other side of the room will have laundry tub, ro/di storage and mixing tank. The space directly behind the long back pane is just a narrow walkway so I can access the back of the tank. Hope that makes it clear.

I think the other bracing goes on sometime this weekend but that hasn't been confirmed yet.

abcha0s 02-10-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 589993)
That door will actually be as close to the left wall (stairs) as possible to maximize space along the wall the door is on. If you walk in the room the sump will be directly below the external overflow (on the end of the tank) and my skimmer and frag tank will be on the door wall as well. The other side of the room will have laundry tub, ro/di storage and mixing tank. The space directly behind the long back pane is just a narrow walkway so I can access the back of the tank. Hope that makes it clear.

I think the other bracing goes on sometime this weekend but that hasn't been confirmed yet.

Personally - I like the door centered on the wall. It creates a large usable space to the left of the door which you may appreciate. If you move the door all the way to the left, you will have the same amount of space (now on the right), but it would be divided between the two walls with a walkway between them. I think you end up with a bigger space by centering the door.

- Brad

lastlight 02-10-2011 03:16 PM

My concern is extra tanks I may plumb into the system. They all need to be plumbed into the sump which is on that side. If the door is in the middle that really limits how many tanks can be plumbed into my sump because I can't have plumbing go across the doorway obviously. I also can't have any tanks on the wall opposite the doorway plumbed into my sump as I'd have pipes going across my fishroom (and they need to be above the sump's level to drain into it). The door placement will be to maximize space for tanks along that wall as they can't be anywhere else. The door will also swing away from the fishroom and my storage cylinder will be in the corner on the left and the tub flanking it. These plans may change but so far that's how I plan to do it.