Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Product Review and Equipment Forum (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   ATI LED/T5 Combo? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102702)

mr_alberta 11-26-2013 09:38 PM

ATI LED/T5 Combo?

Anyone have one yet? Thoughts? Was thinking about getting one for my new tank (60"x36" footprint)...

gqlmao 11-26-2013 09:49 PM

I am contemplating on switching my radion out for one of these. Concept has 2 over one of their tanks and when I compare them to the GHL's in my opinion they look better. They put out such a nice and bright intensity and the spectrum feels more complete rather than just with the 4-5 generic leds colors. In my opinion, it looks the closest to MH, the shimmer isn't overly crazy like the Kessils, but it is there.

denny_C 11-26-2013 09:59 PM

yup got two on daves office tank and if i compare to the ghl's IMO a far better light , we are seeing very good results.

im sure everyones opinion will vary though like always ;PP

ask me again t in six mths as they are only running a few weeks but a top contender IMO , very promising:)

kien 11-26-2013 10:04 PM

Could you not just add a few T5 retro fits to your existing LED (AI, Mitras, Radeon) fixture? Seems that would be more economical to me. I have seen the ATI hybrid over Dave's tank and it does look nice though. But easily reproducible if you currently have LEDs or T5s.

waynemah 11-26-2013 10:12 PM

Denny, would you say having the LED is worth the price hike from the sunpower?

denny_C 11-26-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynemah (Post 861689)
Denny, would you say having the LED is worth the price hike from the sunpower?

i would , now not everyone is going to see that as i guess it comes down to budget and what one wants overall.

its too early yet to tell its longterm effects on the corals but theres def quite the price jump from the sunpower , with that said both lights are quality products.

color blending will be better for the powermodule and if the tank is high enough the leds will help there as well.

we had all daves t5's off and just the leds and it lit the whole tank up pretty bright ,colors are very nice and bright, its a 8ft tank running 2 x 36" dimmable t5/led fixtures ,i was told that the t5's would wash out the leds by other suppliers and so far its not the case at all

maintenance and running cost will be roughly the same give or take

i know the guys at MJC have had theirs running for quite some time and they have good reviews as well .

time will tell.

denny_C 11-26-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 861687)
Could you not just add a few T5 retro fits to your existing LED (AI, Mitras, Radeon) fixture? Seems that would be more economical to me. I have seen the ATI hybrid over Dave's tank and it does look nice though. But easily reproducible if you currently have LEDs or T5s.

well for a guy running ghl's who wants to add t5's will probably have to have some skill in finishing or a canopy to hide the bulbs in ,but esentially its just adding t5's to the mix so i cant see why it wouldnt be done:)

sphelps 11-26-2013 10:43 PM

The ATI with 8 T5s on top of the LEDs is certainly a much brighter light than comparable LED fixtures without the additional T5s but when you guys compare the two tanks at concept keep in mind the 8' tank in Dave's office has 2 4' 8 bult ATI fixtures while the 10' tank with GHLs only have 3 units hung quite high, plus it's like a foot wider. It's virtually impossible to get a good comparison there, you're comparing over 1100 watts to less than 500 on a much larger tank.

That 10' tank needs at least 2 more units (more to be comparable to Dave' tank) with all units moved lower and mounted the other way. I think I've mentioned this a few times :wink:

That said the ATI is nice but I still think the functionality that comes will LEDs is lost with the addition of T5s.

mikepclo 11-26-2013 10:49 PM

Ati led will give more pop to your lps compared to t5 alone. Give you more color control and customization. Worth it? Yes if you don't have a canopy to hide messy led/t5 combos and need a clean all in one fixture.

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/...ps70b8607a.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Jakegr 11-26-2013 10:51 PM

I'm going to buy either GHL or ATI this week, just no idea which one! Good problem to have obviously.

The biggest downside to the ATI, in my opinion, is the sheer size of the fixture. Not sure I want to go back to the days when I had a 6-bulb Tek light covering my tank. Plus, I'm not sure how the 24" ATI Hybrid would look over my 24" cube.